Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Is bottle carbing possible after cold crash?

Old 02-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
CideyMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Is bottle carbing possible after cold crash?

Is bottle carbing possible after a 24hr cold crash?

Ideally I want to cold crash, bottle carb then pasteurize

What is everyone's experience

Old 02-04-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
BigFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 724 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 630

I do a 5-7 day cold crash @ 35-36 *F, bottle cold, and mine still bottle carb just fine. Plenty of yeast remains for the task.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:22 AM   #3
Upthewazzu
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I cold crashed @ 42 for 2+ weeks and my cider was carbed up in 7 days.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
Archer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I've done it after cold crashing batches with S-04 and Nottingham for months. Of course, you need to bring the temp back up to say 68 again for the yeast to get active, but you knew that.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
norsk
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Sure... eventually all bottles will carb up, some sooner than others depending on the beer and yeast. I usually dose with added yeast for big IPBA's and all big Belgians, not so much for Wit's, APA's and others...

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 02-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
markowe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsk View Post
Sure... eventually all bottles will carb up, some sooner than others depending on the beer and yeast. I usually dose with added yeast for big IPBA's and all big Belgians, not so much for Wit's, APA's and others...
I had a similar question in another thread but didn't get any response - I have also cold-crashed and racked, and then tried reviving a small sample (with apple juice and sugar) to see if there is any life left in it, and didn't get any response after a couple of days. So I am not confident there is enough yeast left to bottle carb. If want to add some yeast like you said, just to be sure (I don't want a ton of bottles of flat cider really...) how would you do it? I was thinking make a fresh starter and chuck it in the primary a day before bottling (with added sugar in the bottle for carbing), how would that work out?

Old 02-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
BigFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 724 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by markowe View Post
I had a similar question in another thread but didn't get any response - I have also cold-crashed and racked, and then tried reviving a small sample (with apple juice and sugar) to see if there is any life left in it, and didn't get any response after a couple of days. So I am not confident there is enough yeast left to bottle carb. If want to add some yeast like you said, just to be sure (I don't want a ton of bottles of flat cider really...) how would you do it? I was thinking make a fresh starter and chuck it in the primary a day before bottling (with added sugar in the bottle for carbing), how would that work out?
If you do need to add yeast for carbing purposes, a very small amount is all that's required. About 1/5th of an 11g dry ale yeast packet added at bottling will do the trick

Old 02-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
markowe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
If you do need to add yeast for carbing purposes, a very small amount is all that's required. About 1/5th of an 11g dry ale yeast packet added at bottling will do the trick
Oh, really, didn't really realise that. I mean I figured any old yeast would probably do as it's there just to carbonate, but thought I would need to sort of revive the whole batch first with a larger amount of yeast.

Actually, I am thinking I am just being overcautious and in fact the cider WOULD carbonate up after a few weeks. Maybe I should split the batch and try both approaches just to see what works out.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Archer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Waiting "a couple of days" after cold crashing and warming up is likley not near enough.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #10
mopar318
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I cold crashed at 1.005 for 1 week. Bottled, and I had my plastic bottle carbing up after just 2 days.

I would say it depends on the yeast you used. The whitelabs yeast does not make a very dense yeast cake, and leaves some in suspension.