Bad batch of BB Pumpkin Spice Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastrise15

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a feeling I know what I did wrong here, but I want to confirm with some of the more experienced members here. The following is the process of my first brew and because I didn't find these forums until after, I have realized numerous mistakes I made.

Brew Date: 1/2 OG 1.059
Transfer from Primary: 1/7
Bottle: 1/17 FG 1.01

When I transferred to the secondary, I likely aerated the beer (didn't keep the siphon at the bottom of the bottling bucket).

I know from various threads that Porter's take a bit longer to condition, but as of today I have ZERO carbonation in any of the three bottles I have sampled. The beer is very "syrupy" and tastes poor. Is this normal two weeks into bottling for this style?

Is this another just a matter of time or is it ruined? I had a nut brown ale that lagged this timing by a couple days that is coming along nicely by using mostly the same process (with improvements from this site).

Any thoughts?

Hi all,

I have a feeling I know what I did wrong here, but I want to confirm with some of the more experienced members here. The following is the process of my first brew and because I didn't find these forums until after, I have realized numerous mistakes I made.

Brew Date: 1/2 OG 1.059
Transfer from Primary: 1/7
Bottle: 1/17 FG 1.01

When I transferred to the secondary, I likely aerated the beer (didn't keep the siphon at the bottom of the bottling bucket).

I know from various threads that Porter's take a bit longer to condition, but as of today I have ZERO carbonation in any of the three bottles I have sampled. The beer is very "syrupy" and tastes poor. Is this normal two weeks into bottling for this style?

Is this another just a matter of time or is it ruined? I had a nut brown ale that lagged this timing by a couple days that is coming along nicely by using mostly the same process (with improvements from this site).

Any thoughts?

That beer needs time to carbonate and extra time to age. Three weeks at 70° F is the minimum for carbonation purposes. I would be inclined to give that beer an extra month or two before trying it.

Unless you were adding something (like fruit) in the secondary, that transfer was completely unnecessary. Brewers best kits instructions are bad about telling you to do that for every beer. Next time, simply leave it in the primary for three weeks then bottle.

Agreed, that was one of the mistakes I made. I haven't secondaried another one (will for a vanilla cream ale soon). Should have left it longer, it's been conditioning a while and I'm still afraid I'm going to lose this one. Two that I've done since aren't quite ready yet but well on their way (nut brown and blonde ale).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back