Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Midnight in Dublin

Old 02-01-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
QuercusMax
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Midnight in Dublin

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP002
Yeast Starter: Slurry from previous batch (about a cup of thick slurry)
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.016
IBU: 44
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: Very dark
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days at 68-ish
Tasting Notes: Best stout I\'ve ever made. A very stout-y stout. Will re-brew.

Grain bill:
7.5lb 2-row
2.6lb flaked barley (500L - this is important)
1.75 MO (Muntons - the last I had from my 55lb sack)
1lb Roasted Barley (ground to a powder in my blender)
8oz carabrown malt
4oz special roast
4oz Black Patent

Hops:
2oz EKG 6.2%

Water treatment:
1.5 grams Gypsum in mash

This is by far the best stout I've ever made. I've made a number of Dry Stouts in the past with a 70-20-10 or 65-25-10 ratio of 2-row/Flaked Barley/Roasted Barley. The ones with 300L Roasted Barley were not nearly as good as the 500L. A few years back I picked up a six-pack of Guinness Extra, and I remember thinking "this is what Guinness should taste like", and I did some research and determined it's considered an Export stout. So I decided to make a stepped-up version of a Dry Stout, with some black patent to add an extra roasted component, since I have really enjoyed that in some recent stouts I made.

A few of the ingredients (the MO and the Carabrown) were some malts I had lying around - in the future I'd probably to 50-50 2-row/Maris Otter or just straight MO, maybe with some Victory.

The WLP002 was a last-minute decision. I've mostly used US-05 for my stouts in the past, and I had some fresh slurry lying around. It was a great decision - the slight fruity esters really contribute to the complexity. It is very full-bodied, and overall very smooth. Even though it finished at 1.016, it's not sweet, and the mineraliness from the gypsum works nicely with the hops and roasted malt.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:56 AM   #2
QuercusMax
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 26

So New Belgium has redeemed itself somewhat in my eyes. I just had a bomber of their Belgian Tripel tonight, and it was quite nice. Pretty decent.

Last week I had some Fat Tire on tap, and while it is possibly one of the most boring craft brews I have ever had, I did not find anything objectionable about it. It's not bad, just not really my thing. One of those beers where I don't really have anything bad to say about it, but I don't really have anything good to say about it either. I certainly wouldn't turn one down if I was offered it, however.