strange question - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > strange question

Old 01-31-2014, 04:09 AM   #1
SeeAliceBrewery
Recipes 

Jan 2014
Normal, Illinois
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts

I am two weeks away from bottling. But I have noticed something that is bothering and starting to worry me. The top of my Carboy still holds the krausen that was left behind from a heavy fermintation.

My question is...how does one avoid not getting this white nasty stuff in their beer when they transfer it to the bottling bucket? I am pretty sure this stuff could fall in during the process.

"If you have drank our beer for more than four hours.....seek medical attention"

Old 01-31-2014, 05:13 AM   #2
aarong

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Newport, RI
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

How long has it been in the fermentor? Did your krausen rise stick to the top then fall down leaving some residue?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
Vissani fermentor build

Old 01-31-2014, 05:18 AM   #3
SeeAliceBrewery
Recipes 

Jan 2014
Normal, Illinois

It has been in a day shy of a week. I had a heavy fermentation and had to add the blow off tube for a day before it settled down enough to sanitize and put back the airlock...the krausen was heavy and thick and pushed to the top of the 6 gallon carboy. The Krausen fell after a few days...but part of it remains stuck to the inside top of the carboy...heavy enough that I cannot see into the top of it.

"If you have drank our beer for more than four hours.....seek medical attention"

Old 01-31-2014, 05:23 AM   #4
Paps
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Gravette, Arkansas
Liked 292 Times on 228 Posts

Rdwhahb

Old 01-31-2014, 05:26 AM   #5
SeeAliceBrewery
Recipes 

Jan 2014
Normal, Illinois

Trust me Paps...I am...LOL. I tend to worry about things at time. Just wondering how I am going to deal with all that gunk falling into my beer when I move the carboy for the cold crash..

Old 01-31-2014, 05:29 AM   #6
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Denver, CO
Liked 879 Times on 587 Posts

That stuff should fall on it's on before you bottle. I would leave it three weeks in primary before planning to bottle. You could also swirl the carboy gently to wash it down. Don't worry about mixing things up before cold crashing. The cold crash will settle everything out.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:29 AM   #7
NTXBrauer

Recipes 

Sep 2013
Dallas, Texas
Liked 152 Times on 117 Posts

No need to worry, your krausen will eventually fall. There may be some adhering to the sides of your carboy, but the top of the beer will soon be krausen free. There is no science to the time line of when this occurs, and can only be attributed to the yeast completing their job. Give it another week or two at least. You must be patient at this point, although it is hard to do.

SeeAliceBrewery Likes This 
Old 01-31-2014, 05:31 AM   #8
ChuBru
Recipes 

Dec 2013
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

you avoid it by practicing and becoming a racking superhero brah

SeeAliceBrewery Likes This 
Old 01-31-2014, 05:34 AM   #9
SeeAliceBrewery
Recipes 

Jan 2014
Normal, Illinois

Thanks for the replies...it appears to be dried on...though I know there is so much sealed moisture in there it is not likely. By the way it is the Caribou Slobber extract beer...and from the many reviews that I have read....patience...patience....patience is gonna make this a tasy brew!