Favorite Rye Whiskey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielofthedale

Reaction score
I have really started to enjoy Rye Whiskey over the last few months. I was wondering what everyone's favorite and my least favorite brands are? I would say Redemtion is my favorite so far but only have had few different brands so far.

For manhattans I like Old Overholt. I don't think the taste is amazing, I just love the stern-looking label.
In addition to the others mentioned, Leopold Bros has a nice Maryland-style Rye that I like.

Redemption 95% Rye is very unique and very good - it doesn't follow the same profiles as most other ryes I've tried. To me, it has a new american oak flavor which works wonderful with the spicy rye.

Rye Whiskys that I love:
Sazerac 18 year (stellar!)
Thomas Handy (VERY good, and will kick your ass!)
Van Winkle 15 year (rustic, deep, old wood, vintage leather, spicy, very good)
Whistlepig (it's good; it's sweet; it's the least rye-y of the bunch but an easy drinker)
Angel's Envy 95% Rye (fuc*ing amazing, BUT you'll be thinking of rum the whole time you're sipping)
High West Rendezvous Rye (I like this better than Double Rye; it's well balanced; spicy; lightly sweet; good sipper)

Ryes you shouldn't waste your money on for sipping:
Old overholt (mixing only)
Mitchters Straight Rye (weak rye whisky and expensive)
Pi (it's okay but not worth the money)
Knob Creek Rye (it's okay but I'd spend my money elsewhere)

That's all that's popping into my head at the moment.

Templeton is good stuff. Leopold Bros. Maryland Style rye was different, but very enjoyable. I love Bulleit bourbon, but didn't care as much for their rye.

I'm still pretty new to the rye world but I enjoy both Michter's and Bulleit. Then again I'm no connoisseur.

Sazerac is my first choice for Rye followed closely by Bulleit Rye. I've also had Dickel Rye and enjoyed it.

Years ago I tried a rye that must have been spiced with caraway, since some distiller thought rye whiskey must taste like rye bread from a deli. Blech! Turned me off of it for a long time, until I made a roggenbier and realized that rye itself is pretty yummy. My first rye whiskey since is from Catoctin Creek here in Northern VA and it's quite good. Looking forward to trying more.

Rittenhouse bonded for anything other than sipping (makes a stellar Manhattan) and even good on the rocks.
Sazerac is also a go-to.
Bulleit or Russel's Reserve for rocks/neat.

Finger Lakes Distillery makes several eyes that are very good, even did a honey rye which is great for sipping and a good introduction to Ryes. It is notike the jack honey and the bourbon honeys as it is a rye.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Dickel is my go-to. Tried Templeton, thought it was a bit one-dimensional, but not bad. Didn't justify its price, IMO. Beam Rye is a great value and much tastier than I expected a $20 whiskey to be.

Grand Traverse Bay Ole George Whiskey. 100% rye grain bill, 93 proof. It is quite simply the best rye whiskey I have ever had, quite possibly the best bourbon I've had. Only problem (and why its so good) is it is made in small batches; they can't make enough to distribute...they sell out of it at the distillery. But I only live an hour away... so if I really want a bottle of Ole George, I make the trip up to TC and pick up a bottle.

Grand Traverse Bay Ole George Whiskey. 100% rye grain bill, 93 proof. It is quite simply the best rye whiskey I have ever had, quite possibly the best bourbon I've had. Only problem (and why its so good) is it is made in small batches; they can't make enough to distribute...they sell out of it at the distillery. But I only live an hour away... so if I really want a bottle of Ole George, I make the trip up to TC and pick up a bottle.

I love small distilleries. There is a pretty good place near here in the Catskills that makes a lovely rye. Not epically good, but very nice indeed. I look forward to seeing how they do in the coming years.

I love small distilleries. There is a pretty good place near here in the Catskills that makes a lovely rye. Not epically good, but very nice indeed. I look forward to seeing how they do in the coming years.

Yea, I am a fan of anything in small batches. Michigan only made it legal for distilleries to make whiskey in the last few years (they have been able to make vodka for a while now though)....so the Michigan made whiskeys are young.... like 3-4 years old. But they are smoother than a typical 8 year old, even as smooth as some 12 year olds... however I would like to see how they compare side by side to an 18, though I'm not in favor or dropping over $100 on a fifth. And the distillery says they don't filter the whiskey either...so why is it so smooth? Gotta be quality. Its not filtered, its not old, so....why? There seems to be a lot of hype in the big names about "double filtered" and so much emphasis is put on the age....start with better quality, end with better quality.

Dad's Hat a western PA style rye distilled in a craft Eastern PA distillery in the tradition of the old PA ryes. very good
Knob creek for an easy to find rye.
read a lot about Angel Envy a kentucky rye aged in carribien rum barrels but have not been able to get it here in PA so have tasked a few friend to find it. waiting to try

My favorite by far is Wild Turkey 101 Rye -- but I haven't seen it for sale in about 3 years. (I'm about out) Supposedly they are making it again, but maybe that was just a rumor.

I would try Journeymen's Rye, it won the 2014 San Fransisco International Spirit competition and is my favorite. They are in Three Oaks Michigan and an organic distillery!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Iowa has a new cinnamon whiskey called prairie fire. not bad on the rocks and really good with some apple cider

Dickel is my go to, a real price performer.

But, if I want to spend some $s... High West Rendezvous Rye

My favorite by far is Wild Turkey 101 Rye -- but I haven't seen it for sale in about 3 years. (I'm about out) Supposedly they are making it again, but maybe that was just a rumor.

We have this in PA. I buy that and Bulleit Rye

Sorry z-bob it may not actually be 101?

My current favorite is Grand Traverse Distillery. Theirs is 100% rye(I'm a purist). It was really good, but I made the fiscally responsible choice and got the Rye Vodka. lol

I think it liked Journeyman's Rye when I tried it. I'm gonna have to get a shot again. lol I'm thinking it seemed a wee grassy for my tastes.

I need to pick up a rye of some sort, I've been meaning to make an original old fashioned for ages now. lol

My current favorite is Grand Traverse Distillery. Theirs is 100% rye(I'm a purist). It was really good, but I made the fiscally responsible choice and got the Rye Vodka. lol

I think it liked Journeyman's Rye when I tried it. I'm gonna have to get a shot again. lol I'm thinking it seemed a wee grassy for my tastes.

I need to pick up a rye of some sort, I've been meaning to make an original old fashioned for ages now. lol

Define fiscally responsible, and do they ship to the east coast.

Back