Converting BG-14's to natural gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a custom built horizontal brew stand with 3 BG-14's. I am interested in converting these to natural gas that is ran throughout our city so I no longer have to deal with propane tanks. An employee of the natural gas company told me I should only need new orifices, does anyone know if this is true, and which ones I'd need?

Also, does anyone know the legalities of what is required to use natural gas burners indoors? Of course you aren't supposed to use propane indoors or store propane tanks indoors, so that's one of my major reasons in converting. I am sure the legalities vary by municipality, but if anyone knows what the rules are in their region/area that would at least give me a good starting point.

I have 4 BG 14 burners. I just drilled the orifice that came with them to 1/8" and they work perfect. I don't know if there's legalities for using them indoors, but common sense goes a long way.

Thanks RoadKing. I am assuming you use yours indoors?

I am concerned about legalities because this will serve as a pilot system for our commercial brewery we're planning on having up and running by this summer.

I would first contact your local municipality about the codes and if any inspections are needed.

I use them in the garage so I just open the door as need be. I wouldn't use them indoors unless it was a very large space or very well ventilated.

Back