Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Black Friday

Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #11
Fingers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

Never heard of Black Friday. Must be a uniquely American thing. Is it just stores staying open late and giving good deals or is there more to it? We have something called midnight madness, but it's more of a local thing than a national phenomenon.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #12
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
Never heard of Black Friday. Must be a uniquely American thing. Is it just stores staying open late and giving good deals or is there more to it? We have something called midnight madness, but it's more of a local thing than a national phenomenon.
Pretty much, but the stores open early... real early. Also, regularly rational human beings surrender logic and courtesy for rage anger and violence. It brings out the essence of the holidays.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #13
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts

I told my wife a few years ago that I would never go shopping again on the friday after Thanksgiving. Just the other day the subject came up and I said that I'd rather do a marathon, three all-grain brews in a day than step foot in a store. Her response was "Only if I can spend whatever I want" Good thing we're catching a plane to Seattle on friday.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 11-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #14
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
It's called such as it's the day (or at least the start of the process) of stores going into the "black" for the year (finally making money). Over the last 10 years or so it's just gotten worse and worse. It's ridiculous and what I blame for my Bah Humbug attitude during the holidays. I worked 6 years in retail. That could be part of it too.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:36 PM   #15
Fingers

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_PA
Pretty much, but the stores open early... real early. Also, regularly rational human beings surrender logic and courtesy for rage anger and violence. It brings out the essence of the holidays.
Here the stores don't open early they just stay open really late that one night and at certain hours they offer their deals. I can recall buying an air filter for my car once at midnight. It usually sold for almost $50 and they sold it to me for under $10. I could never be bothered to go to any of the really big stores for their sales though.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:45 PM   #16
uglygoat

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

i wish they'd tear the frikkin mall down by my town, and replant the trees that used to be there.

luckily i never do the giftmas thing, and folks don't really expect me to these days. i already got the kid a few toys months ago for giftmas, and the wife and i don't exchange gifts, so i'm clear.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #17
Trencher
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've sworn for years that I would buy nothing on Black Friday. The blatant celebration of our societal drive to consume sickens me.

But... the LHBS doesn't open until Friday, and I really want to brew!

Old 11-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #18
Warped04
I am Wally

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ugh...I could only imagine that would be awful to work at. I will avoid the stores like the plague. I'm going lobster fishing.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #19
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I'll be working... thankfully. Better to do that then deal with masses of people.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 11-21-2007, 07:32 PM   #20
El_Borracho
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Check it out.

I'm really tempted. Normally I keep as far away from that mess as I possibly can, but $170 for a Garmin Nuvi or $1299 for a 46" 1080P LCD is just...sick.
damn! you stole my thunder!!

PEOPLE. Many major retailers (Sears, Walmart, OfficeDepot, etc) will have BlackFriday special ONLINE.. So no need to get out of the house to take advantage of the deals. They don't want crowds in the store, they want the money in the crowd.

I did half my xmas shopping in oct (two little girls and a wife), the other half was done two weeks ago and is on layaway (i don't have a place to keep all their **** without them seeing it). I'll probably grab a few more goodies at the start of December. I don't mind the mall, the ladies are fly.