Pre Built STC-1000 from a vendor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
I thought I saw/read somewhere that there was a vendor selling the STC-1000 controller all wired and ready to go?? I can't find the link anywhere... I have built one already and figured I can save myself a little bit of time by just buying one premade.

The vendor is Risendeadbrewing.
The related thread is here.

There was/is some confusion as to exactly what they are actually selling in the pre-assembled version. Because aside from the pictures, the information on the site seems to contradict that the controller they use is in fact a dual-stage STC-1000, and you may well end up with a controller using the single stage MH1210 they sell.

Now, I bought the standalone MH1210 from them and am very pleased with it. But it's a single stage controller, well suited for my keezer, not so much for a fermentation chamber...

Cheers!

Seems pretty clearly an stc-1000

Detailed Product Description
Measure range:-50~+99°C
Mounting size:71*29mm
Auto switch between refrigerating and heating
Retrun difference value
All-purpose Temperature Controller STC-1000:

Features:
Switch the modes between cool and heat; Control temperature by setting the temperature setting value and the difference value; Temperature calibration; Refrigerating control output delay protection; Alarm when temperature exceeds temperature limit or when sensor error.

You are correct TNugent. I did have the H9745 controllers, but do have a couple STC-1000s available for sale right now.

Correct. The STC-1000 I have now is dual. The H9745 that I had before was not.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Finally! I was beginning to think it was all a dream. I knew I saw this somewhere but have been searching for the link forever. Glad I found this thread, I couldn't find the controller by searching on the site directly. $47 (assembled) shipped seems like a great deal to me.

I'm a little confused by these controllers and especially this "assembled" version. From the website: "This controller will only do heating or cooling, not in a two-stage manner. The wiring is all the same, it is based on the settings."

Can I use this in a chest freezer with a heater inside to maintain hot and cold temps?

[...]I'm a little confused by these controllers and especially this "assembled" version. From the website: "This controller will only do heating or cooling, not in a two-stage manner. The wiring is all the same, it is based on the settings."

Can I use this in a chest freezer with a heater inside to maintain hot and cold temps?

Referring back to the thread I linked earlier - and my comment in this thread - this was a source of confusion. Indeed, the original controller used was a single-stage device that would not be able to manage both a chiller and a heater without manual intervention.

However, if you look back in this thread, the owner of risendeadbrewing has switched to using the STC-1000 in the "pre-assembled" package, which is in fact a dual-stage controller and can manage both heat and cold automagically.

A good move on his part - now he just has to be consistent with that (no switching back to the single-stage or there will be....trouble) - and update his web site...

Cheers!

Referring back to the thread I linked earlier - and my comment in this thread - this was a source of confusion. Indeed, the original controller used was a single-stage device that would not be able to manage both a chiller and a heater without manual intervention.

However, if you look back in this thread, the owner of risendeadbrewing has switched to using the STC-1000 in the "pre-assembled" package, which is in fact a dual-stage controller and can manage both heat and cold automagically.

A good move on his part - now he just has to be consistent with that (no switching back to the single-stage or there will be....trouble) - and update his web site...

Cheers!

Actually it is the note at the bottom of the risendeadbrewing product page regarding no dual control that has me confused. Maybe it's left over from the previous model that was single stage?

Edit: Just saw your "update his website" quote. I believe we're on the same page now. Thanks!

Anyone know if any pre-built STCs are still available anywhere? Both of the sites seems to be down/missing them.

There are a couple users on here that sell stc-1000+ kits. They add more functionality to the stock firmware, but I'm not sure if you're looking for this or just a static controller.

http://www.boostbysmith.com/stc1000.html

(This one has been out of stock for a while): http://www.blackboxbrew.com/store/

Otherwise, the ITC-308 looks to be a promising and affordable option if you want simple plug-and-play interface and a low cost.

Thanks for the info on the ITC-308. I haven't seen that one before. I'm curious though if it is powerful enough to control a full upright freezer or fridge? Has anyone had any issues with the power capabilities?

Temperature controllers do not work like that. They simply turn a power socket on or off, depending on the temperature it reads. They can be used on any fridge you might have. There is a longer thread somewhere here where people discuss it further, but I can't link it because I'm on mobile. Basically, there was an issue originally that made this device not up to code, but they have since fixed it, and no one seems to have issues with it.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I built the STC last time, it was a bit of a hassle and cost right around the same with purchase of tools and parts.

Temperature controllers do not work like that. They simply turn a power socket on or off, depending on the temperature it reads. They can be used on any fridge you might have. There is a longer thread somewhere here where people discuss it further, but I can't link it because I'm on mobile. Basically, there was an issue originally that made this device not up to code, but they have since fixed it, and no one seems to have issues with it.

@Jakor, I am confused are you talking about the STC-1000 or the Inkbird itc-308. The Inkbird had the wiring issue that they have since fixed

I'm curious though if it is powerful enough to control a full upright freezer or fridge? Has anyone had any issues with the power capabilities?

@dhockenbrough, I used the ITC-308 on a chest freezer with no issues. It has a power rating of 1000W which should work with most freezers. The range I see on freezers are anywhere between 350W and 850W. I'm sure if you look around you can find large freezers that use over 1000W. If you want a cheap controller that you can set to a certain temp go with the Inkbird ITC-308 it is only $39 on Amazon. It is simple and what I use for lagering.

If you want more bells and whistles go with the STC-1000. You can buy different versions of it from BrewsBySmith that have been flashed and are programmable. I have never used it, but from reading about it you can set an entire lagering schedule I.E. 55 F for 2 weeks, then warm to 70 F for 2 days, then bring the temp down to 35F over the next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
@mcgimpkins, sorry for the confusion, I was in fact talking about the itc-308. I'm sure they have fixed all models by now, but I just mentioned it because if one has electrical know-how, it might be worth checking your unit just to be safe. I don't mean to scare anyone away from it though. It's probably the best controller for those who want an affordable unit with no setup required.

I can speak more directly for the stc 1000+ though. The max current draw is 10 amps for this unit, meaning you'd want it wired with at least 16 gauge wire, which it almost certainly is. If you are going to use a low power heater and/or a small fridge, you can get away with 18 awg, but that's another discussion. Overall, I'd say the itc-308 is worth it if you don't care about time-based profiles. Biggest thing I would consider for a fermentation chamber is that if you use a heater, be certain it won't draw more than 10 amps.

Back