Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation without airlock activity

Old 11-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
wreckinball9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation without airlock activity

This is my second brew ever- a partial Mash Guinness Clone from LHBS. Pitched the yeast at 76F, OG was 1.044. It is in my brand new primary fermenter with the lid on tighly and water in the airlock and the airlock is fit tightly into the gromet.

After 5 days or so I have not had any action in the airlock. However, the hydrometer now reads 1.020. How is this possible? I know most of you are going to assume i didnt put the lid on tightly etc, but i have taken it off and snapped it back into place multiple times to be sure, and my first batch had a ton of activity in the airlock. so i believe everything should be fitting together properly.

what could be going on here? thanks for any help

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Either there's a leak somewhere, or it fermented out when you were sleeping and you missed it. But I assure you, fermentation does not take place without CO2 offgassing.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-21-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
wreckinball9
Recipes 

thanks for your quick response! assuming there is a leak, is that anything to worry about? am i greatly increasing the chance of infection etc?

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not unless it is open where stuff can fall into the fermenter. I have seen a 1 day ferment before on 5 gallons and noticed bubbles starting on the top of the beer only to have a krausen ring and nothing happening the next day. Just so happens to be the only beer I had with diacetyl in it. It took me a couple of days to check the gravity thinking it would show more signs, but it went to 8 GU from 48 GU's that fast. I pitched on top of a previous cake and at 75*F so that is what I am chalking it up to. Fastest since then is 3 days with nothing but great results, at proper pitching rates and temperature control.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 11-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
BangorBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: Regarding Leak

Two things:

1) I recently had a the same thing happen to me and my beer turned out fine.

2) If you are using a bucket -- mine was an Ale Pail -- make sure you have a good solid seal. Unfortunately, my ale pail did not come equipped with the rubber gasket that many come with, and I'm almost certain that was the problem. Flip your lid over after you rack and take a look.

MT

Old 11-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

That is the Guiness Gods playing tricks on you for trying to clone Guiness!!!

(I'm Irish)

Old 11-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #7
burton178
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I'm a new brewer but this has happened to me on my first two brews. The first one had very little airlock activity and the second one has had zero activity.

Both fermented in the same pale and it doesn't have the rubber gasket. I bought another pale to have two fermenters and it does have a gasket, so I'll be trying it next time.

I, like you, hope that it doesn't have any negative effects. It feels like it has a good seal when I snap it down, but there must be a tiny leak somewhere.
Primary #1: BM's Oktoberfast
Primary #2: None
Kegs: BM's Oktoberfast once done in primary.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:14 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6044 Times on 4307 Posts
Likes Given: 1555

I've had it happen, too. don't worry about it at all- I've never had a problem with any of the countless beers and wines I've made. That is just one of the reasons why we always say around here that you can't rely on airlock activity to gauge whether or not fermentation is done. It's just not that reliable.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
wreckinball9
Recipes 

The instructions with the gravity info got thrown away, does FG 1.020 sound right?(OG was 1.044)

it has been stuck there for over a week, but it seemed too high to be done...

Old 11-26-2007, 06:43 PM   #10
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Humm, I would think it would be lower being an irish ale yeast was probably used on a guiness clone. You only got 43% attenutaion??? Irish ale and most others are going to ferment to 70% ish attenuation. Are you sure you took gravity readings at the right temperature? I think you should have gotten down to at least the 1.012-14 range.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"