Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Help with Keggle

Old 11-21-2007, 04:47 AM   #1
BuffaloSabresBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Help with Keggle

This was originally going to be a post on a craigslist find. I bought an old keg for $5 not a bad deal if you ask me. I assumed it would be almost empty but it was almost completely full (made loading in to the back of my car really fun). It is still all muddy and it is a little dented but I thought it would work until I laid it on its side.

I have worked in bars before and taped many a keg on the rush but I have never used one like this, its an older model. The guy I bought it from said the place he rented it from wouldn't take it back because it was an old style but thats beside the point. Ill try to post some pics tomorrow after I clean it up to show my problem. It seems like there is some sort of a cork in the side. Has anyone ever heard of something like this or how to deal with it? It probably cant handle heat can it? Maybe someone can help after I post a pic but I have no idea how to disassemble it.

If nothing else I want to be able to release the pressure and empty this thing. I guess even if it has to be removed I might be able to have it patched. I am hoping to get it all taken care of at a local welding school for free. Shouldn't be a problem but well see.

Any clue what I should be doing next?

Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 AM   #2
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

If it makes any difference the brewery it came from is from some where in NY state. I have never heard of it and I live here. Do smaller breweries use different types of kegs?

Old 11-21-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
D*Bo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well be ready for the storm. If you haven't seen any of the other threads about stolen kegs such as what you just purchased, do a search.

What you have there is a firken. it's a cask used to age a beer then serve using gravity. No carbonation. as in a real ale.
Drinking Oatmeal Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Dry Mead)
Up NextScottish ale and Dopple Bock

Always ready for the wack snack attack, I carry sandwiches around in a straight edge style JanSports backpack.

Support your local businesses

Old 11-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I bought the keg from someone who has had it for a long time because they would not take it back. Really how much more am I supposed to do?

Anyone know how I take take this apart?

Old 11-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

It's a cask, not a keg. Is there a ball valve on one end of it? If so, lay it on it's side and use a flat head screw driver to push the ball down, just make sure tha tyou are not standing in front of it. Once the presure is released, you can remove the retaining ring around the top of the ball and it should come apart frome there pretty easily, then dump the nasty beer. Also check out some of the how to's in Yuri Rage's and Bobby_m's signature.

Cheers

Oh yeah and i don't care where anyone gets kegs from, just don't post it up here if you have any shread of doubt that they are not legal.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That cork on the side is a bung. That is where they used to fill the keg in the old days. Your only hope is to take the bung out and have a welder patch the hole, if he can. I wouldn't get my hopes up, if I were you. Also, those old-type kegs don't have any handles on them- how are you going to handle it when it is full of hot wort????

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 11-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
stevehaun
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 50

You can have a welder weld the bung hole shut with a piece of stainless steel when he welds your couplings into the keg wall. No problem. No handles - no problem. Why would you want to move a container with 15 gallons of boiling hot wort? I think it will make a great keggle.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:44 PM   #8
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Wow I really appreciate the sarcasm from everyone from just asking a question. I'm sorry I don't have the money to drop on new equipment. Your right shunning someone trying to make it with what they have is probably the right thing to do.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:58 PM   #9
Bellybuster
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

haha nice comeback....
yea too easy to get a welder to tig on a SS plate over the bung hole
Cahnce are the spear if any in the top is press fit and not held by a ring. It will have to be cut off, angle grinder with a cutting wheel works wonders.
$5 is a great find
Another option is to actually use it as a fermenter,...already has a hole for a rubber bung and airlock

Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Easy does it Buffalo, you're being a little too sensitive for forum life. It can be a cold cold place when you're noob. Stick to it, grow a skin, and you'll definitely get some value out of the community. Personally, I'd take it to a scrap yard, get your $20, then try to find a legal american Sanke. It'll have a wider bottom for better heat transfer and won't require a bunch of patchwork.