Pittsburgh/Western Group Buy #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Group buy #8 is CLOSED.

ANNOUNCEMENT
By vote of the last set of volunteers, we're going to keep this to 1-2 pallets max.

1. Target is to close buy in early February and deliver in late February.
2. Operating costs (contingency) has been removed and replaced with a flat shipping cost. It's much less of a headache, and more transparent. Shipping will be $7/50# sack unless there's a big gas shortage or other crisis, and that covers both the pallet fee and the location rental.
3. Everything else is the same as the last buy (please read the whole email anyway)
4. Hops are on the sheet, and may be available for this buy. No guarantees.

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING:
Please fill out THIS GOOGLE FORM to get access to the buy. You must be a HBT member in good standing to take part in the buy.

~First & Last Name
~HBT Username
~Contact Number
~Address
~payment method - check/money order or Paypal
- Confirm Paypal® address is the same as email using or give your Paypal® Address.
If I do not receive this information you will not gain access to the spreadsheet. If you have participated in the last buy you will already have access.
(All of the above information will be kept private. I will only contact you by phone if something may be out of stock and I need to get a hold of you quickly. I will also use your city info to post to a list so everyone can see where people are located. This can be used to carpool or have someone close to you pick up your grain. You will have to make arrangements with that person. Again I will not share info except the city. Let me know if you do not want that to be shared.)

Here's the deal:

1. We need to fill at least one pallet which is about 42 sacks. If we go over we need to get as close to 84 sacks to make the shipping reasonable throughout the second pallet.
2. Buyers will have to come pick up their bags at the drop off location (Pittsburgh, PA 15203). I will include the exact address when I send invoices. If you can't make the group buy day we can work out an alternative date.
3. Payments will be accepted through PayPal® or bank/cashiers check/money order (PayPal preferred) only because it is the easiest way to collect money from this many people. PayPal fee is approx. 4% extra.
4. Shipping is approximately $0.14/lb ($7.00 per 50# sack).
5. I've cleared out splits from last buy - everyone should still have access if you want to carry the old values over.

When I get your info I'll send the price list and grain list

If there is anything in the catalog that is not in the full bag or split bag that you would like please add it in the column on the first sheet using the drop down (you may need to use firefox or chrome browser). Please keep it uniform. I will go back in and add the estimated pricing as often as I can. Plan on $7-8 per sack shipping cost. This is already estimated into your total on the spreadsheet.
DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING BUT WHITE CELLS ON THE FIRST TAB. THANK YOU.

We will use the same order sheet as the previous buy - I've rolled over open splits and sacks that didn't make it on the pallet.

After you have added your items to the sheet, feel free to post it to the thread to help stimulate the buy!

PAYMENTS:
Payments will be collected once we have secured 42 or 84 sacks dependent on interest. If you have issues with paying via PayPal® contact me. If you do not make payment within 1 week from the time invoices are sent with actual pricing, you risk forfeiting your right to buy your grain on this buy. If you can't make your payment within 1 week, please contact me. Do this out of courtesy for the group.

PROCESS
1. Buy will be officially open on 1/25, but feel free to send emails earlier
2. I will submit order for finalized pricing
3. Invoices will be sent as soon as the buy closes
4. After all payments are received order will be placed
5. Will give everyone an ETA.
6. Pick up your grains and we all say cheers! (literally - there's lots of good homebrews at pickup)

~Pickup address will be provided on invoices
~You, as the buyer, are responsible for picking up your grain or for making arrangements for someone else to pick it up for you.

Bring your invoice to the pick up location to help ease the process

FOR SPLIT SACKS:
Work out the details with your partners. Bring something to put your share in, weigh it out on site, and take your portion. Or, one of you picks up the whole sack and deal with the splitting on your own time. That’s your decision to make with you splitting partners.

~For reference a 5 gallon bucket, depending on the type of grain should hold about a half a sack of grain.

DONATIONS:The people who work these grain buys do a lot of back end work to make these buys go as smoothly as possible. If you would like to show your appreciation please feel free to leave a donation for them. The amount you donate will apply towards that persons grain tab.

FINAL THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND:
- Some people have issues with google docs if they don't have a google account. If that's the case you may need to create one.
- Only update the first tab in the spreadsheet. If you put your order on the other tabs, it will be lost.
- Grain is heavy. If you're planning on picking up grain for people, check the cargo capacity of your vehicle. Most passenger cars are 800# or less.

This is perfect for me. After a few batches since the last pickup I realized I should have bought more US 2-row.

Why not, I always need something that I don't need! ;)

Somehow I failed to make 2 posts on this (must be the lack of alcohol).

1) We're up to 18 sacks!
2) Google Bestz Malts, Thomas Fawcett, breiss, canadian malting, etc. to get descriptions of the different malts. That'll help for any of the newer buy members who aren't sure what to pick.

Ah HA - my post was in another window (tricky)

Here's some better links:
Here's a reference for new folks who aren't sure what in the heck to get:

http://www.bestmalz.de/en/malt/malt-types.htm

http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/francobelges.asp

Fawcett's site isn't very helpful, but their products are good, so i guess it doesn't matter:
products: http://www.fawcett-maltsters.co.uk/range.htm
Product Specs: http://www.fawcett-maltsters.co.uk/specif.htm

Bairds:
http://www.bairds-malt.co.uk/Brewing.html
http://www.bairds-malt.co.uk/Roasted.html

Great Western Malting
http://greatwesternmalting.com/our-products/bulk-malts

Broken hand means no brew for me since xmas. I havent touched the stuff from December.

That being said... Im in for some hops and a split of the vienna.

We're up to 22 sacks - Goal is to close this out (20 ore) in the next week or so.

Broken hand means no brew for me since xmas. I havent touched the stuff from December.

That being said... Im in for some hops and a split of the vienna.

Damn - sucks man. Sorry about the firm handshake - good thing i have a weak grip (my wife opens jars for me :D).

any munich or rye splits open?

Are you looking for a quarter of half bag of rye? I have a full bag of canadian rye malt coming, I could part with some if you wanted to split it. It's a 55 lb bag so each quarter is 13.75 lbs for $8.50.

Looks like we're hanging tight at 34 sacks. If i don't see activity by EOD tomorrow i'm going to add items that I know regulars will pick up on the next buy and close things out.

So - Last call!

I'm new to the group buy thing so maybe I did something wrong. I submitted my info through the google doc but never got a response with the grain list and prices. Should I submit it again?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here is a list of the open splits in case anyone wants to get in on these.

BM-5017 Insta Grains® Red Wheat Flakes - 25 lb. -- 0.5 Left
GW-C40 Great Western Malting Crystal 40 Malt - 50 LB -- 0.5 Left
BZ-WHT Pale Wheat - 55 lb. -- 0.5 Left
GB-MUNH30 Munich Dark (100) - 55 lb. -- 0.5 Left
TF-GPRM TF&S Golden Promise Pale Ale Malt - 55LB -- 0.5 Left
BD-MOPA Baird Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt - 55LB/ -- 0.5 Left
CM-SPIL Canada Malting 2 Row Superior Pilsen Malt - 55LB -- 0.5 Left
GW-PALE Northwest Pale Ale - 50 lb. -- 0.5 Left

Just filled out the doc! I'm near to all-grain brewing (actually still building the setup), but figured getting some 2-row on hand won't hurt.

I think it is still open. I just opened the spreadsheet and it opened just fine. It still says we're at 37 sacks so there is still some more room. Try it again, maybe it will work this time.

I think it is still open. I just opened the spreadsheet and it opened just fine. It still says we're at 37 sacks so there is still some more room. Try it again, maybe it will work this time.

Is the form or a link to the form emailed to people after they fill out the sign up form? I'm unclear how to gain access to the order form and can't seem to find out the answer to it in this thread. Let me know if someone knows. Thanks.

send a pm to brewguyver. and he'll hook you up with all the info you need.

Thanks for the help guys. Brewguyver sent me the emails. I was just being impatient I guess. Got my order in. Looks like we are at 40 sacks... 2 shy of a full pallet, so far.

I might be getting in, i just filled out the google form to get access to the order form. I haven't been brewing for a while but this weekend I'll be finishing up the last of my grain (from maybe the 2nd group buy?).

I might be getting in, i just filled out the google form to get access to the order form. I haven't been brewing for a while but this weekend I'll be finishing up the last of my grain (from maybe the 2nd group buy?).

How old is it?

Hm not exactly sure, Maybe close to 18 months. I guess I could figure it out exactly if I wasn't lazy.

Had it all sealed up in 5 gal buckets in the basement. Still smelled okay, not extremely fresh but didn't smell old or musty or anything....when I crushed it smelled delicious!

Hi Folks - no way this group buy is going to get completed by the coming weekend, so i'm going to need to push pickup out to mid April. I won't cut off at 2 pallets unless its close - i can always do multiple deliveries.

I just completed the Google form, is the buy still on for Feb or did it slip to April? I'm currently deployed returning EOM march can the grain be held or should I look to the next buy?

Sent from my SGP311 using Home Brew mobile app

Can I get access to the sheet, looking for 6 fulls, and would like to see what splits are available. Also anyone have a experience using the Mangrove yeast?

Can I get access to the sheet, looking for 6 fulls, and would like to see what splits are available. Also anyone have a experience using the Mangrove yeast?

Did you fill out the google form attached in the link? It took maybe 36 hours once I completed the form for the links to be emailed to me. I have never used the Mangrove yeast but I would like to in the near future. It seems promising to me and at a better price point than most dry yeasts.

I used the mangrove Jack's yeasts exclusively last summer and they were all solid performers. I think my favorite was the West Coast Ale and the Barvarian wheat was a close second. Cost, quality, and a large temp range make it unbeatable in my book.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've registered and received the price list just need access to the sheet to place my order and see what splits are available. I'm looking forward to trying the Mangrove yeast as I've read it very active and attenuates well.

OK - It looks like everyone (including me) was slowed down a bit by the cold. We've added 11 sacks to the buy over the last 24 hours, to bring us to a grand total of 60.

A delivery date of 4/19 looks like it would be great (Farmers almanac says that Sunday is too lazy) so we need to be closed by 3/30 and paid by 4/4.

So 16 days to get in your order (24 or 66 sacks of grain max - my bet is on 24).

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

I've registered and received the price list just need access to the sheet to place my order and see what splits are available. I'm looking forward to trying the Mangrove yeast as I've read it very active and attenuates well.

You should be on now, let me know any issues.

Brewguyer thanks for the update that weekend is great, where do you normally do the pickup? planning on driving in the day before spending the nite close and hitting a few of the local breweries....any recommendations??

Getting ready to brew tomorrow, decided to do an inventory of grain on hand. That revealed an error in my inventory, I should have 66 Lbs of pale 2 row but I only have 19... So I put in for two sacks, that has the sheet showing 66 sacks, does that complete 2 pallets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back