Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Will be moving to secodnary soon

Old 11-21-2007, 10:25 PM   #11
malkore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Listen to Teu1003. you need THREE DAYS in a row of the same gravity reading, near 1.010, before its safe to move to secondary.

ALWAYS give the beer at least a FULL WEEK in primary, in addition to 3 days of consistent gravity readings that are close to your target final gravity before doing anything.

The only people that need more patience than a Jedi...is a homebrewer

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-23-2007, 06:43 AM   #12
cvav8or
Recipes 

Default I got it

I'm just so darn excited. But I know you're all right so I haven't taken another sample and won't do so until at least next wed night. Oh and there is still activity in my airlock which gives me a twinkle in my eye everytime I open my pantry door to get something. Ok, I am going to try to relax, not worry and have a home... I mean commercial brew for now.

cvav8or

Old 11-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #13
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Patience is essential in this beer thing. I'm pretty much a noob too but the longer you can wait the better things will turn out. I mean don't leave your beer in primary for 6 months or anything, but your recipe should have a target final gravity and the beer should be down there somewhere before the move to secondary (if you bother with that at all - i just tried some wheat that went straight to bottles and it's clear and excellent tasting - but that's a wheat characteristic, i think).

Old 11-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #14
Junebug

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvav8or
I'm just so darn excited. But I know you're all right so I haven't taken another sample and won't do so until at least next wed night. Oh and there is still activity in my airlock which gives me a twinkle in my eye everytime I open my pantry door to get something. Ok, I am going to try to relax, not worry and have a home... I mean commercial brew for now.

cvav8or
If you're excited now, just wait until it's been sitting in bottles for a few weeks and you finally crack one open...now, there's some excitement! Satisfaction, too.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:34 PM   #15
davefleck
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

the patience is a tough thing... almost done with batch 1. As in only 4 bombers left. Waited a day less then 3 weeks. Was all set to go until the wife asked if we could try some. Guess it only took a little nudge to get me off the cliff. Although by 4 weeks of bottle conditioning it was even better!

Fermented an oatmeal stout on the top of the yeast cake of the first batch (an irish red) it tasted yummy when i moved it to secondary the other day. It had a very high gravity of 1.021 but it's been in there for 4 weeks so it ain't getting lower! guessing the oats help with that? it's within range from the base recipie i started with...

just wish i had more space for more batches!