Will be moving to secodnary soon - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Will be moving to secodnary soon

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 01:29 AM   #1
cvav8or
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 16


Quick update for anyone who cares. I brewed on Saturday the 17th and the SG was 1.038-1.040. Now on tuesday it is 1.024 and if it remains the same for another two days I will move to my secondary. I drank the sample after I took the reading and it actually tasted like beer and had a beautiful brown color, I am so stoked and can't wait to drink my first brew.

cvav8or



 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:46 AM   #2
Boston Brewer
 
Boston Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Boston, MA (Southie)
Posts: 51

What is the recipe? I'm a total beginner as well, but based on what I have read around here, it seems like you should be targeting a final gravity of around 1.010. Assuming no additional fermentation takes place, it seems like you got pretty low attenuation.

But again, total beginner here... I hope I'm wrong.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:52 AM   #3
homebrewer_99
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,792
Liked 131 Times on 98 Posts


I second what BB said. You shouldn't rack until your gravity is 1.010. Racking this soon does not benefit the brew in any way. It's actually just a waste of time until the gravity has dropped.
__________________
HB Bill

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:05 AM   #4
teu1003
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Posts: 156
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts


You are not near finishing this ferment. You want to be close to 25% of OG, that is, about 1.010 on a 1.040 beer. At 24, your beer will be cloyingly sweet and not very alcoholic (about 2.1% abv)

Be patient, your yeast has work to do. Three days is kinda quick to even go near the room where your beer is.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:34 AM   #5
cvav8or
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 16

It was a bit premature fo me to state I will rack to secondary soon. After I posted this I did a bit more research on this site, also I placed my airlock back on as my krausen is now under control thanks to the blow off tube. And although I thought I wasnt getting anymore bubbles since I really couldnt see them in the blow off tube it's back to bubbling every few seconds again through the airlock so I know fermentation is not complete. I will continue to take SG readings starting again on Turkey day and once it hits 1.010 I will rack to the secondary. Thanks again for all the help and please keep it coming, I am already obsessed with this hobby now and am half way through the papazian book as well. needless to say I very much want this brew to come out great. I know it will be a huge step but I really want to do a Rogue Dead Guy clone for my next batch as I am hooked on that stuff. Think it is too big of a step for a beginner?

P.S. What sort of alcohol content can I expect from an initial SG of 1.038ish?

cvav8or

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:39 AM   #6
Boston Brewer
 
Boston Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Boston, MA (Southie)
Posts: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvav8or
P.S. What sort of alcohol content can I expect from an initial SG of 1.038ish?

cvav8or
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter9-4.html - call it roughly 3.5%?

If you haven't looked at this site, it is a great resource...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
HBRunner
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Huntsville,Al
Posts: 466
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cvav8or
. I know it will be a huge step but I really want to do a Rogue Dead Guy clone for my next batch as I am hooked on that stuff. Think it is too big of a step for a beginner?

cvav8or

My rogue Kit from AHS is being delivered today....just a basic extract kit, and it will be my 2nd brew.....I don't think it will be too much to handle for new guys like us.....

I say go for it!!! Mine will be brewed Sat or Sun....

And I may crack open my first wheat beer also....

RDWHAHB

Chad
__________________
Chad


Primary: Rogue Dead Guy clone, Sweetwater 420 clone
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: I don't bottle
Next up: IPA and something, and american ale maybe

Kegged:Chocolate Oatmeal Stoute

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:01 PM   #8
MikeyB
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 12

I brewed on Saturday the 17th and I'm not even going to bother taking a gravity reading until at least Sunday the 25th. In my (limited) experience, the bubbling is not a good indicator of finished fermentation.
__________________
_______________________
On Deck: Who knows?
Primary:
Secondary: California Common
Bottled: Oldcastle Brown Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:23 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,012
Liked 7603 Times on 5351 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cvav8or
It was a bit premature fo me to state I will rack to secondary soon. After I posted this I did a bit more research on this site, also I placed my airlock back on as my krausen is now under control thanks to the blow off tube. And although I thought I wasnt getting anymore bubbles since I really couldnt see them in the blow off tube it's back to bubbling every few seconds again through the airlock so I know fermentation is not complete. I will continue to take SG readings starting again on Turkey day and once it hits 1.010 I will rack to the secondary. Thanks again for all the help and please keep it coming, I am already obsessed with this hobby now and am half way through the papazian book as well. needless to say I very much want this brew to come out great. I know it will be a huge step but I really want to do a Rogue Dead Guy clone for my next batch as I am hooked on that stuff. Think it is too big of a step for a beginner?

P.S. What sort of alcohol content can I expect from an initial SG of 1.038ish?

cvav8or
My Dead Guy clone (in the pull-down recipe link under my avatar) is easy and you could do it. Let me know if you have any questions about it. I can walk you through it if something is unclear.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:22 PM   #10
teu1003
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Posts: 156
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts


[QUOTE I will continue to take SG readings starting again on Turkey day and once it hits 1.010 I will rack to the secondary. [/QUOTE]

Please dont take a gravity reading on day 5 of your brew. Yeast and patience are your friends.

Yeast has other things to do than just get your beer from OG to FG.

I know you are in a hurry. Don't be. Relax and wait at least to the middle of next week. Do some shopping this weekend and wrap some of the gifts you buy. Get your Christmas decorations out. Get your oil changed. Anything! Leave your beer alone for a while.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving is fun Grahambo General Beer Discussion 2 08-25-2009 05:25 PM
Moving outside Verde Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 11-20-2007 02:16 PM
moving up! Mk010101 Extract Brewing 2 12-01-2006 06:55 PM
moving on up Punn Equipment/Sanitation 6 08-23-2005 01:17 AM


Forum Jump