Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Accidental malt swap - oh no, or oh boy?

Old 01-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
swanb034
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Accidental malt swap - oh no, or oh boy?

Alright, so I have a fairly simple question. I am pretty new to homebrewing (but enjoying it immensely so far) and yesterday decided to try my hand at a saison. Got through the whole boil smoothly, but after I had finished, I looked at the recipe again and realized I made a huge mistake. The recipe I used called for 3.9 lbs of Pilsner extract, 1.1 lbs of wheat extract and 1 lb of Vienna malt. I stupidly misread the recipe and used 3.9 lbs of wheat and 1.1 lbs of Pilsner (I used the right amount of the Vienna - go me!). Obviously, this is going to taste pretty different. I'm still positive about the outcome, but I'm not really sure if it is going to taste like a saison. Does anyone with more experience know what this might end up like? I was figuring it just may taste more like a wheat beer/hefeweizen, which I would be okay with, but maybe someone has a more exact idea?

I did learn from this to always read the recipe twice BEFORE starting! I don't want to mess this up again!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
dryboroughbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well you'll certainly get taste the wheat (which could be a good thing), but the unique flavors in a saison are yeast derived esters, so I'd just call it a wheat saison!

swanb034 Likes This 
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
swanb034
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

That's exactly what I was thinking. I did figure I would be fine since most flavor comes from the yeast, but I was a little concerned it may make some people scratch their heads. I was actually planning to start a wheat beer after I racked this to my secondary, so I am excited to see how this tastes.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:28 AM   #4
Zepth
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'd say proceed as normal with this, it doesn't sound as though anything is going to be wrecked. Then for your next batch make the one you originally intended.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
Oakes
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Mistakes happen, and sometimes those mistakes can make a beautiful beer. Push on my friend, let us know how it turns out!

Old 01-24-2014, 05:41 AM   #6
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

More than likely the wheat extract is only 50/50 wheat/pils or 2-row, so it might not be as big of an error as you may have thought. I think you'll be quite happy with the results.