Please help with my wards lab report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InityBrew

Reaction score
Hello,

I just received my water report from ward Labs and want to see if someone could help me with it.

To this day I have been brewing with a mixture of spring water and RO and have been adding salts. I mainly brew hoppy beers and some stouts / porters.

I got the report done so that I could use my well water and save some money if possible.

pH - 6.4
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) - 338
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm - 0.56
Cations / Anions, me/L*- 5.7 / 5.0

Sodium, Na - 45ppm
Potassium, K - 14ppm
Calcium, Ca - 46ppm
Magnesium, Mg - 13ppm
Total Hardness, CaCO3 - 169ppm
Nitrate, NO3-N - 4.3 (safe)
Sulfate, SO4-S - 7ppm
Chloride, Cl - 104ppm
Carbonate, CO3 - <1ppm
Bicarbonate, HCO3 - 79ppm
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 - 65ppm
Total Phosphorus, P - 0.11ppm
Total Iron, Fe - <.01ppm

Is this good for any style in particular?

From my initial viewing it looks like I will definitely have to dilute it with some distilled water.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben

Yes, it may need dilution for several reasons. The sodium and chloride are a bit high, but they might work in a stout or porter. Since the chloride is high and it can limit what other ions you can add without creating minerally flavor in the beer, dilution with RO or distilled water should be on your radar.

Thanks I appreciate the quick response.
It appears that would definitely have to dilute at least 50% for almost all styles.

Latest posts

Back