Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Fermentation Blow off Conditions

Old 01-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
RukusDM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Fermentation Blow off Conditions

Hi guys....had a interesting thing happen during the fermentation of this AG batch I'm doing.

I've read about guys having fermentation's that need a blow off tube. After about 15 or 20 batches, I don't think I've ever been in that situation before. I'm not sure if it is because of the extra head space I normally have in my brews or what, but i've never been in a position to really need one. Normally I have 5 gallons in a 6 gallon carboy.

With that said....I did a batch this weekend where I missed my SG (for silly reason) to go into the fermenter and didn't add the top off water that I would normally done to get to 5 Gallons. It ended up at 4.75 gallons.

This is a very simple American ale with 1056 yeast and 6lb 2-row, 1.75lb flaked corn, 1/2lb flaked rice, and .5lb carapils. Very basic lawnmower beer.

I had .75 lb of carapils left over from previous batch and put that in instead of just .5lb. Also during the boil, I missed putting the whirliflock in at 5 to 10min from end.

This time during the ferment if I didn't have that extra head space I would have needed to put a blowoff tube in.

I'm wondering if the additional proteins from the extra Carapils and missing the whirliflock that the additional proteins caused this huge krausen on the top? It is a fairly good ferment but not overly vigorous but still has a huge head on it.

Anyone else see something similar or have any ideas?

#1 - 5 Gallons Harp Clone All Grain with Wyeast 2007 Lager (~5.5% ABV)

Secondary's:
#1 - 6 Gallons Dry Irish Stout Partial (~4.0 ABV)
#2 - 6 Gallons Brown Sugar Ale All Grain with Nottingham Yeast (~5.0% to 5.2%)

Kegged:
6 Gallons Honey Ale AG

Next:
6 Gallons Brown Sugar Lager

Old 02-06-2014, 03:40 AM   #2
JLP
Interactive
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Do you have a ferm chamber, or do you ferment in your closet?

Old 02-06-2014, 04:00 AM   #3
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 909 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 237

If you don't like washing your ceiling.... Start EVERY fermentation with a blow off tube set up. I control my temperatures well, use 6 gallon Better Bottles for 5.25 gallons in most cases. I have done all kinds of beers with many different yeasts. I have not seen that there is any real way to determine which ones will produce a lot of krausen.

I have even done what would seem to be simple beers using the same yeast and one will blow off and the next will not.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:09 AM   #4
NeoBrew
NeoBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think that temperature has a lot to do with it. If I ferment at 62 degrees I don't seem to need a blow off. I'm doing a Bell's Two Hearted clone right now at 65 degrees and it's just foaming up enough to need one.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:17 AM   #5
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ive had 5 gallon batches in a 7 gallon carboy that needed a blowoff tube. Most batches are fine, but Id rather my closet only have beer in carboys and bottles, not anywhere else

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew