Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How to use an Immersion Wort Chiller in the winter

Old 11-20-2007, 09:59 PM   #21
Calico Jack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do this on a day where temps are not below freezing. Fill a bucket up with water and ice and use a march pump to pump water from the bucket into the chiller and back into the bucket. Only one bucket of water used the entire time.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:25 PM   #22
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer
Beat me to it. EdWort made one. I plan on trying it when the weather gets colder:
Yep, I plan to do the same. I live in an apartment, and while there's plenty of lawn area around the place for brewing, the only hose hookup has one of those keyed valves so we can't use it. My only real choice would be to run a long garden hose from the sink, through the living room, and out a window, which wouldn't please the roommates when it's freezing outside.

Got an "eco plus" 396GPH pump on ebay for $25 shipped, should show up tomorrow. I picked it over other similar ones because it is supposed to come with a basic hose barb fitting, whereas most other fountain pumps come with a bunch of fittings that are worthless for trying to connect any standard fittings to to adapt to a garden hose thread.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:41 PM   #23
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso
Nothing like the temps my friend in Saskatchewan sees though. We gripe about 10F below 0 (and that's on a REALLY cold day hereabouts). They routinely see 50F below 0, many multiple times per winter.
I watch our regional and national weather on a daily basis and it is rare
to see that low a temperture anywhere outside the artic unless you are talking about windchill.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:59 PM   #24
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
I watch our regional and national weather on a daily basis and it is rare to see that low a temperture anywhere outside the artic unless you are talking about windchill.
She measured the temps, not me. Regina Sask, for reference, and not in the past 2-3 years, prior to that. She has moved a couple times since then. So we would have been talking about roughly 2001-2004?

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-20-2007, 11:48 PM   #25
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Yeah, not saying it don't get cold. Sask would be on par with the Dakotas.
Either way much too cold for my liking, lol. My climate is pretty moderate for Canada.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:15 AM   #26
faber
Recipes 

Two other options:

1) Get the little adapter thingy to connect your chiller to your kitchen sink faucet

2) run your garden hose through a window or something and have it drain in your kitchen sink, laundry room sink, etc.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #27
joebou4860

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would move.
I hate winter.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #28
millstone
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I‘m also getting ready for winter brewing and am trying to work out the wort cooling in freezing temperatures. My outside water spigot is 40 feet from my detached garage, so I’m confident the hose will freeze before I can use it. My plan (vision) is to take one of my Igloo IceCube coolers and position it about 5 or 6 feet off the ground and fill it with cold water. I would also have about 3 or 4 5 gallon buckets filled with cold water to re-fill as necessary. With my current IC, I run the water at about 1 gallon a minute and get down to 65-70 degrees in 20 minutes, so that's how I came up with the additional water required. I assume I wont have to worry about losing water temperature because the water should gstay colder because of the winter temperatures. I Live in Hammond IN, that’s about 20+ miles from downtown Chicago. My plan is for the IceCube cooler to feed water via gravity to the IC and the out hose to 5 gallon buckets, saving the first two buckets for cleanup.
Will the 5-6 feet (pressure) be enough in height to feed the cold water to the IC and hot water to exit? Has anybody else tried this? Or am I whistling in the cold.

Thanks

tom

Old 11-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #29
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

As long as you don't have a lake wind going, you should be able to brew. They have to be worst part of winter in Chicago.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-24-2007, 02:24 AM   #30
aa8jzdial
Recipes 

Take your hot water as it comes from your chiller and fill your bath tub.
Make sure it does not over flow! Let it cool into your home over night. It will return the heat to the house air with some very much needed humidity.
You will not be wasting all that expensive fuel.

r