Beer Smith mobile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrduna01

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the mobile app is worth it as a stand alone app or is it best as an add on to the desktop version?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Home Brew mobile app

it doesn't have half the features of the desktop app. "worth it" would depend on your situation.

I think it is worth it. It is being improved all of the time. Plus, it is built by Brad Smith who is home brewer and a nice guy. Beersmith is not written by a huge software company. I like to support him since he has given so much back to the community. Plus the program is really good.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

I have both versions. If I could only have one, it would be the desktop version.

I have both also. Desktop is more full featured, but having it on a tablet on brew day sure is handy.

Hopefully the mobile version will catch up, but its still a good piece of brewing software.

I have both but typically only use the app. It has tons of features but it took me a long time to learn them. I would say go ahead and get the app because you won't regret it. Then, if you want more features, you could the more expensive PC version later.

The downside to the app in my experience is that when you hit any button, there is a delay before any action. It runs a little but slow. That irritates me but I still say it's worth it.

I have both but typically only use the app. It has tons of features but it took me a long time to learn them. I would say go ahead and get the app because you won't regret it. Then, if you want more features, you could the more expensive PC version later.

The downside to the app in my experience is that when you hit any button, there is a delay before any action. It runs a little but slow. That irritates me but I still say it's worth it.

What device are you running it on, not to meaning to be rude I just wanted to see if the lag was hardware or software related

What device are you running it on, not to meaning to be rude I just wanted to see if the lag was hardware or software related

No rude at all...

I have an iPhone 4 (not even the 4s) and am not using the newest iOS 7; I have whatever the prior OS was. It has happened since I first downloaded the app. Maybe other people don't have the same difficulty.

No rude at all...

I have an iPhone 4 (not even the 4s) and am not using the newest iOS 7; I have whatever the prior OS was. It has happened since I first downloaded the app. Maybe other people don't have the same difficulty.

I'm thinking of getting it for my galaxy s4 and apps that lag like that drive me nuts. I just ordered the iPhone 5s for my other half, she too still has the Iphone 4 (until Wednesday)

No rude at all...

And just a side note, she says that if you upgrade to ios7 your phone will be a little faster

Old thread, but be aware that the mobile version doesn't calculate efficiency for you. An odd ommision.

Digging up a zombie thread, but I have a couple complaints with Mobile. I wish it had inventory more accessible. The biggest single change I'd like to see is an integrated brewing calendar. It forces you to save each brew batch as a new recipe, when I want to save the batch as being brewed multiple times. Otherwise, I only use Mobile. I still have BS 1 on my laptop but haven't gotten 2 yet. I'm running mobile on a kindle fire HDX and it's speedy enough for me. Kyle

Something I forgot to discuss: I really like the brewday timer. It's truly great, and helps keep me on track without needing to watch a clock. Kyle

I also use the brewday timer on the mobile but do my recipe planning on the desktop. With the cloud folder it is real easy to move between the two. I also like to use the mobile app at club meetings when someone ask what the grain bill was on something I brewed.

Bought this software for my Android and was really ticked to find out you cannot load recipes without having a cloud account through Beersmith. The free cloud account only allows 15 recipes at a time. Of course, the cloud membership is a yearly fee - though low in price it's still nickel and diming nonsense. If I own Beersmith desktop and mobile should I not be able to easily port ALL my recipes back and forth?? Lame. Not sure if anything has changed since, as this was quite a few months ago, but at the time it was enough to completely deter me from the mobile version.

Rev.

I got the mobile lite version just so I have access to my recipes when I'm asked about them. I no longer have to say, "I don't remember."

Just a convenience. I have no interest in developing recipes on my phone.

You get what you pay for. I originally bought the mobile version and was disappointed. There is so much more that can be done with the desktop software.

You get what you pay for. I originally bought the mobile version and was disappointed. There is so much more that can be done with the desktop software.

Very true. The mobile version was nice but had just a few features missing that frustrated me. Now that I downloaded the trial desktop version, they make a perfect pair. I'll be buying the full version when my trial expires.

Very true. The mobile version was nice but had just a few features missing that frustrated me. Now that I downloaded the trial desktop version, they make a perfect pair. I'll be buying the full version when my trial expires.

How do they make a perfect pair? Do they even work together at all?

How do they make a perfect pair? Do they even work together at all?

Yep, moving recipes via the cloud is nice. I create and tweek recipes on my tablet then use the desktop version for more in depth details. Also, you sort of need the desktop because the mobile version doesnt tell your efficiency.

Ahh neat cloud. Can you hook to usb and transfer recipes that way at all? I'm probably just old fashioned and hate to have 3 different versions going as well.. WHat happens if you tweak on mobile and PC, does it know and tell the difference? Is there a cloud version as well then of the recipe or is it just some transfer method?

Ahh neat cloud. Can you hook to usb and transfer recipes that way at all? I'm probably just old fashioned and hate to have 3 different versions going as well.. WHat happens if you tweak on mobile and PC, does it know and tell the difference? Is there a cloud version as well then of the recipe or is it just some transfer method?

No. There is no auto update feature. If you send it to the cloud then it saves a copy on your phone. If you send multiple times you get multiple copies on your phone.

Another question for the mobile version. There isn't a print option right? I looked but there oesn't seem to be one. Brad, that is something that would be nice to have. My computer is shot so my iPad is my only option at this time.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back