Dry Hopping with Pellet Hops? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hopping with Pellet Hops?

Old 11-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Wrentham, MA
Liked 27 Times on 12 Posts

Just wondering is anyone here uses Pellet Hops to Dry Hop. I have an ounce of Centennial that is in Pellet form and is bound for Dry Hopping. But I am worried about a Cloudy Haze from the Pellets. I was going to put the Hops in a Cheesecloth Bag, but I just don't see that keeping the Haviness contained. Anyone here that uses Pellets for Dry Hopping?

Only reason I am stressing so much about the haze is because I am 99% convinced that I am going to try Crash Cooling with this Batch, and I am looking for a really Clear Beer. If Plugs get me closer to that, I'll just buy an ounce of Plugs and use these Pellets in another Batch.

On Deck Hmmmmmmm
Primary Sessionable IPA II,Simcoe Sevada 26, Bier Muncher's Blonde Ale
Secondary
On TapMaiBock Helles has Wings 5, Sessionable IPA

Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #2

I dry hop with pellets and have never had a problem with them. I have used a hop bag and I have not used a hop bag without any difference. The hops will drop out and you rack off them along with the rest of the trub.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
Soulive

Recipes 

Mar 2007
The Middle of NJ
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLinNH
Just wondering is anyone here uses Pellet Hops to Dry Hop. I have an ounce of Centennial that is in Pellet form and is bound for Dry Hopping. But I am worried about a Cloudy Haze from the Pellets. I was going to put the Hops in a Cheesecloth Bag, but I just don't see that keeping the Haviness contained. Anyone here that uses Pellets for Dry Hopping?

Only reason I am stressing so much about the haze is because I am 99% convinced that I am going to try Crash Cooling with this Batch, and I am looking for a really Clear Beer. If Plugs get me closer to that, I'll just buy an ounce of Plugs and use these Pellets in another Batch.
I use pellets 8 outta 10 times for dryhopping...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 11-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

Pellet particles will drop out. They may take a bit longer, but they drop.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-19-2007, 11:17 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 783 Times on 434 Posts

If they don't drop, there is a way to leave them behind when you rack:

1 gallon paint strainer wrapped around the end of your racking cane (intake). Use a small zip tie to secure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hopstopper_1.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	3373

Name:	Hopstopper_2.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	3374

Name:	Hopstopper_3.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	3375

Old 11-19-2007, 11:36 PM   #6
RLinNH

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Wrentham, MA
Liked 27 Times on 12 Posts

Thanks for the replies. So, pellets it is. I like the Paint Strainer on the racking cane Muncher. Looks like the route I'll be taking when I do bottle in about 4-5 weeks.

On Deck Hmmmmmmm
Primary Sessionable IPA II,Simcoe Sevada 26, Bier Muncher's Blonde Ale
Secondary
On TapMaiBock Helles has Wings 5, Sessionable IPA

Old 11-20-2007, 12:13 AM   #7
eviljafar

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Montreal Canada
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used to put a muslin bag on the inlet end of the siphon but a couple of times lately it blocked the siphon. I tie the bag on the outlet side now.

Biermuncher I hope that's cheap whisky in the starter airlock. It kind of looks like ...

Old 11-20-2007, 06:39 AM   #8
gwood

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljafar
I used to put a muslin bag on the inlet end of the siphon but a couple of times lately it blocked the siphon. I tie the bag on the outlet side now.

Biermuncher I hope that's cheap whisky in the starter airlock. It kind of looks like ...
I've been thinking of doing this...I racked a ton of stuff into my bottling bucket on my first batch and was thinking about ways to minimize it (better whirlpool for one) and thought that the outlet might make a bit more sense.

Doesn't clog on you?

Old 11-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7601 Times on 5351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwood
I've been thinking of doing this...I racked a ton of stuff into my bottling bucket on my first batch and was thinking about ways to minimize it (better whirlpool for one) and thought that the outlet might make a bit more sense.

Doesn't clog on you?
You don't want to whirlpool when you rack to the bottling bucket. You want to transfer it without any splashing at all, because you don't want to aerate it.

I tried the paint strainer but I thought it was just much easier to rack above the pellet sludge. It did clog for me, so I took it off. With the black tip on the autosiphon, I didn't get any stuff through.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Nov 2006
St Louis MO
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I recently dry hopped a pale ale using pellets and crash cool method. The beer came out of the carboy crystal clear; I wish I would have taken a picture. If you will feel better using the paint strainer, by all means use it, but I didnt need it at all. A couple days in the chill chest and it was completely clear.

bill_skar Likes This