Yeast Harvesting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckD123

Reaction score
I'm thinking about harvesting some yeast from a Crooked Stave Surette bottle. I've watched some instructional videos on how to accomplish the task successfully. Surrette clearly isnt made from just saccharomyces. Pretty certain theres some brettanomyces and some bacteria in there. What are the things I would need to cinsider if using these microbes to brew saison down the road? I.e. Will there be any technical difficulties with having multile yeast genus's and bacteria species pitched simultaneously? I dont have the technical know how nor the equipment to isolate each microbe type.

I'm thinking about harvesting some yeast from a Crooked Stave Surette bottle. I've watched some instructional videos on how to accomplish the task successfully. Surrette clearly isnt made from just saccharomyces. Pretty certain theres some brettanomyces and some bacteria in there. What are the things I would need to cinsider if using these microbes to brew saison down the road? I.e. Will there be any technical difficulties with having multile yeast genus's and bacteria species pitched simultaneously? I dont have the technical know how nor the equipment to isolate each microbe type.

i build up yeast from bottle dregs all the time and it's very easy to do. the proportion of individual yeast blends will be off from the original pitch but there isn't much you can do about that. my method is to cover the bottle with foil as soon as i pour the beer out and use the bottle as the first fermentor, it's already clean in there.

So y po u've had good success harvesting?

yes, sour beer dregs (russian river, jolly pumpkin, sante adarius), avril saison dregs, and pranqster. there is a list somewhere of beers that have live yeast in them. some beers are pasteurized so they do not contain viable yeast even though you will see yeast sediment in the bottle.

Make a weak starter for the first go. Maybe 6 ozs of 1.020 wort. Then step up to a bigger starter.

Because there is brett and maybe bugs, you don't want to store in the fridge. These critters take much longer to develop, so stick on an airlock and leave until needed (months is fine).

Back