Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Extended mash times

Old 01-15-2014, 04:26 AM   #1
NewkyBrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Extended mash times

Is there any downside to having say a 2 or 3 hour mash time instead of the usual
1 hour? Is there any benefit?
I'm guessing as long as I can hold the temp steady it should be ok.
The reason I ask is I am finding it difficult to schedule a 5 hour all grain session with 2 young kids running around!

Old 01-15-2014, 04:36 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1842 Times on 1450 Posts

Don't know for sure, but seems to me you could end up with a phenomenally thin brew...

Cheers!

Old 01-15-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
Jfcrls
Recipes 

Not sure about extending the mash, but I'm in the same boat as you and here's what I do. I mash in the morning and get the wort into the boil kettle. Then I cover it and go spend time with my family. Later on when the kids nap or have some play time I go and finish up. Never had any problems brewing this way.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
BobBailey
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Extremely long mash times can lead to a slow or stuck sparge with certain grains and/or finer grinds. Other than that I know of no down side.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Longer mash times allow for more of the long chain sugars to be converted to short chains. So your beer might be a little more thin.

My blog and book have some information on this.
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...re-theory.html

I know what you mean about a change in time to brew. Before my daughter was born I would do a 5 hour brew day twice a month. Now I just sneak in an extract batch here and there.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
NewkyBrown
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of leaving the wort in the kettle. I didn't think of that.
Having kids mean you drink more at home (less time at pub) but have less chance to replenish supplies!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 760 Times on 554 Posts
Likes Given: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
Longer mash times allow for more of the long chain sugars to be converted to short chains. So your beer might be a little more thin.
Woudn't this be a good place for a mash-out even if batch sparging? Or get it in the kettle, bring the temperature up to 180 degrees, flame-out and let it sit with the lid on until you're ready to finish.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have the same problem and do an overnight mash, using Brew In. A Bag. I set up at dough in just before bedtime. Then I wake up early and fire up for the boil. I wrap my pot with hot water tank insulation and ii find the tempo will drop about 10 degrees by the morning. In BIAB you do a full volume mash using full amount of water, it ends up a bit thick so I just leave in the and heat up for a mash out which thins it out before I remove the grain bag.
Let me know if you are interested and have any questions. You can also search HBT for overnight mash as there is a thread for the topic. It works quite well with no ill affects on my beer.

I am also looking into no chill brewing as another way to speed up/break up my brew day.
Keg #1 Peach Cobbler Ale
Keg #2 Air
Keg #3 El Dorado Pale Ale

Old 01-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
RoadKing
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Woudn't this be a good place for a mash-out even if batch sparging? Or get it in the kettle, bring the temperature up to 180 degrees, flame-out and let it sit with the lid on until you're ready to finish.
This

Old 01-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
Larso
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I BIAB and for the same reasons did a good few overnight mashes. Found my beer coming out thinner so I not mash out and pull grain before bed