Big island home brewers, Hilo side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawaii_Dean

Reaction score
Any other brewers in the area? I‘m in Hawaiian paradise park.

All grain brewer and mead maker. I have 10 gallons of Amber just about finished and ready to crash and keg (38% specialty grains = yummy). 2 separate fermenters - Chico and ESB yeasts. Plus 6 gallons of 1.120 lilikoi mead in primary on Cote de blanc.

Of yeah, I‘m using hop extract for bittering hops and aroma oils for dry hopping. I got these from a brewer friend of mine in Guam. Have extra to share if you are local. 1-2 ppm hop oil is great for Ambers and mild pale ales and the like and 6-8 ppm is fantastic in West coast styled pale ales. I have 5 varieties! :)

Dean on 22nd and Makuu

Amber brewed with falconers flight and santiam at 15 and zero before flame out. Hop aroma ended up weak so I'll dry hop with cascade and amarillo hop oils blended. Half ppm of each suspended in vodka carrier. Kegged 2 weeks after brewing. Love wirfloc.

Sent from my ME173X using Home Brew mobile app

Hi Dean,

I live on 30th and Paradise. Only been brewing about a year and still have a lot to learn. I have a Pliny clone that is almost ready and a two hearted ale should be ready in a couple weeks. Let have a few some time in the future.

Awesome. There are two Brewers on 22nd dead end side of Makuu,Rick and I. I have a couple beers and wine coolers on tap. Been all grain brewing since 1997. We should brew sometime. 15-2044 22nd. 8089895309. Out of town now but I will be home in about a week
What is your name?

Dean

Hi Dean,

I live on 30th and Paradise. Only been brewing about a year and still have a lot to learn. I have a Pliny clone that is almost ready and a two hearted ale should be ready in a couple weeks. Let have a few some time in the future.

Cool Dean, I'd like that. My name is Justin. I was just talking to an old friend over the weekend that I'm pretty sure lives on your dead end. Tom Higgins. Or it might be 21st. I thought it might be your neighbor cuz he said his neighbor brews.

I'm kinda swamped this week myself. I'll give you a call in a week or so.

Thanks. Justin.

Justin,
I will be back home this Wed Thurs and Friday if you want to get together. I have 2 brews on tap and we can try one of yours if ready. Need your number.
Dean 8089895309, cell, texting is fine

Howdy! You guys still brewing in Hilo? I'm thinking about making a move there next year.

Yes still brewing away. I actually live in a smaller nearby town called Keaau.

Still looking for other brewers in HPP, Keaau Pahoa Hawaii. I live on 22nd dead end side of Makuu. Lately I have been playing around with Summit and Magnum hops and quickly am becoming enamored with both. Amarillo and simcoe and citra, cascade, and centennial are good hops but Summitt is my new favorite. Gets a bad rap for oniony taste and smell but I cant smell it in finished beer and neither can the other~12 people who have tried my brews featuring Summitt. I detect the faint oniony aroma 1st week in keg after 14 day ferment and crash but after that 3rd week it is gone and yummyness abounds, for me at least. Maybe Summitt varies by crop but my pound of 2015 from yakima valley hops has been excellent. I store it in the freezer of course.

I just started using bulk hops recently and love it. I store them in ziploc vacuum seal bags in the freezer. Wife loves IPA's so I'll be trying all kinds of hops this year and picking out our favorites. So far her favorite is simcoe, then centennial and citra. I'll be sure to try summit soon.

Aloha! I'm up Kaiwiki Rd, just north of Hilo. Not the Keaau/Pahoa area, but it's good to know who's here on the island. Just made the move to all-grain, so I doubt I'm at your level of brewing, but I sure have been enjoying it.

Where are you guys getting your bulk hops? I've used hopsdirect.com, with great service, but I'm wondering if there are any other good options for us here on the Big Island.

I've been buying through Yakima Valley hops but there are other suppliers of bulk hops. It is great to know the year your hops were picked. Fresh hops are just so much better. Hops from homebrew shops rarely have year picked on the label. Making late hop additions to the wort with old hops is something to avoid if you can. Dean in HPP

I have also bought through hopsdirect. They have slightly different inventory than Yakima Valley hops. For Brewing items that dont need to be the freshest I always try to give my business to Ross at the Hilo brewing supply store because you never want your local supply store to go out of business. Dean

Completely agreed. I do my best to support Ross at Brew Hawaii every chance I get. He's been a great resource for both supplies and information.

So, hops discussed, what are you other Big Island Brewers doing about yeast? Starting dry, then harvesting? Dry packs every time? Some secret access to liquid yeast?

Yeast is the one thing I haven't been able to have shipped here, as well as I don't believe I can carry it here myself on the return leg of a trip to the mainland.

Safeale 05 is my Workhorse yeast. It's a great yeast that sometimes can finish dry. I used to save yeast when I lived in Arizona but I don't do that here in Hawaii there's too much airborne bacteria and fungi around. You could save yeast if your system was totally closed and I'm working towards that right now with my counterflow chiller. I bought two packets of Mangrove Jacks m-44 West Coast to try it is supposed to be dry version of Pacman yeast from Rogue Brewery. I have 5 gallons of Amber I need to keg that contains Mangrove Jacks Burton yeast. I'll let you know how that is. Whitelabs, gigayeast, and wyeast are great but so pricy here in Hawaii with our high shipping costs. sometimes I special order yeast from Ross.

You can bring as much yeast as you want in checked baggage or one vial or smackpack through TSA, double check allowable volumes, Honolulu TSA let me bring a vial of whitelabs to Hilo. Whitelabs does not have vials now but cheap lousy flimsy tubes and so are more likely to rupture and spill than the old bomb proof vials. If you go the liquid route European Brittish, and English are hard to beat. Havent tried liquid Pacman yet though.

Today is kegging day. I am really digging this 5.0% Amber beer IBU 28 with Burton yeast. Tastes a whole lot like a better Newcastle, Plenty nutty and fruity. The magnum and late addition summit are so much better than you would think.

Is the Mangrove Jacks Burton yeast same as Bass Brewery?

S-05 and -04 are my go-to as well. I've had mixed results with the Mangrove Jack strains. Also, all my brewing friends believe the liquid yeast won't do well in the luggage for that long of a flight. I've never used liquid yeast though. Too difficult to acquire.

Nice looking pint!

The luggage compartment of a plane is very cold, not heated. I've brought home several liquid packs of gigayeast and white labs vials and it was quite active still. My biggest problems with liquid yeast have been using them at or after the expiration date without growing it out first. The mangrove jacks burton finished tart. Didnt really want a tart finish. No infection, just tart.

Scraproom, if you used Mangrove Jacks M44 what did you think compared to 05?

I haven't used the m44 yet. Before I had a tighter grip on fermentation temps, we tried the Workhorse strain because it said it could ferment well at high temps. Up to 90° as I recall. But that proved to be not great. I tried it again under tighter control in a sweet stout, but I found I preferred the s-04.

Just built my still, up in hawaiian acres. Actually still need to attach it to my pot and having some difficulties. Maybe a brewing vet on here could give me a hand.

M44 finished sweet and cloudy and tasty. I was very happy with my Amber. The sweet may have been due to high gravity and only using one packet , don't know

I have two carboys of jaboticaba wine at two different ages. They have been turning out fantastic actually. If anybody wants the recipe it's simple it's 4 lbs fruit per gallon, discard the skins, don't leave the skins on (high in tannin) and sugar to 1.095. metabisulfite and yeast nutrient, pitch montrachet or similar the following day. Finish, if desired sweeten to taste and stabilize - 1.008-1.010 is great.

I'd like to team up with a distiller. I'm in HPP and brew all the time but haven't distilled yet. Makuu and 22.

My main reason for making a still was to make pure medicinal tinctures with the organic alcohol. But i really want to experiment with pineapple shine or other fruits. Still can be medicinal and it tastes better! Lets meet up sometime

Last edited:
Sure thing, shoot me a message. We can distill a jaboticaba or lilikoi or star fruit Brandy. I have to much jaboticaba fruit so maybe that one?

I'm moving to Hawaii in about a month and bringing a 2 tap kegerator (chest freezer w/collar) with me. Has anyone ran into issues keeping one outside?

Any other brewers in the area? Im in Hawaiian paradise park.

All grain brewer and mead maker. I have 10 gallons of Amber just about finished and ready to crash and keg (38% specialty grains = yummy). 2 separate fermenters - Chico and ESB yeasts. Plus 6 gallons of 1.120 lilikoi mead in primary on Cote de blanc.

Of yeah, Im using hop extract for bittering hops and aroma oils for dry hopping. I got these from a brewer friend of mine in Guam. Have extra to share if you are local. 1-2 ppm hop oil is great for Ambers and mild pale ales and the like and 6-8 ppm is fantastic in West coast styled pale ales. I have 5 varieties! :)

Dean on 22nd and Makuu
Aloha. Are you still home brewing in HPP? I'm in orchidland looking for supplies as a Xmas gift for my hubby. Can you advise me on what I need to start off n where to purchase supplies? I see one Honolulu shop and the Hilo brew co. On kinoole online but pretty sure they no more. Mainland co gonna charge $200 for shipping. But maybe i can get cheaper if i can find glass fermenting bottles here. Mahalo!

Latest posts

Back