Bread...inspired by orfy - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Bread...inspired by orfy

Old 11-19-2007, 03:07 AM   #1
talleymonster

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts

Well I'm sure everybody saw orfy's post about home made bread. Well I saw that thread and was inspired to try my hand at baking bread. It began to seem like I was hijacking Orfy's thread, so I figured I'd back off and start my own thread.

I made my first bread this morning. It followed his recipe pretty closely, except I added ground flax seed. It came out excellent. SWMBO and I ate the whole loaf in under half an hour!

Well, that bread was soo good that I wanted to make more. So I went to the store and got more flour and they were having a BOGO sale on all baking pans, so I bought two bread pans.

I made 2 loaves: A 10 grain bread (made with 10 grain hot cereal), and a Cinnamon bread (made with Splenda, no sugar...and it's really good!!!).

I think I found another hobby! Between making beer and making bread, I'm going to have to watch it or I'll get fat(ter)!

Old 11-19-2007, 03:11 AM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Georgia
Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts

That and this thread have inspired me too...I am going to go get the stuff tomorrow!

Old 11-19-2007, 03:14 AM   #3
talleymonster

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
That and this thread have inspired me too...I am going to go get the stuff tomorrow!
It's pretty neat!

Good luck!

Old 11-19-2007, 03:51 AM   #4
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talleymonster
I think I found another hobby! Between making beer and making bread, I'm going to have to watch it or I'll get fat(ter)!
Don't worry, I like to say that homemade bread is pretty healthy since it's preservative-free and all that other crap

I mean, I've convinced myself to think that, at least.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:21 AM   #5
DUCCCC
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts

You guys are going to have to get a sour dough starter swap going pretty soon if you keep this up!

I did the whole bread thing for a while some time back, but it got kind of routine. I still really enjoy making pizza dough every couple weeks, and it's always a hit with the wife and at least one of my two sons whenever dad makes pizza at home.

I still really need to get an unglazed quarry stone for the oven though...

Old 11-19-2007, 04:24 AM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 792 Times on 505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2brew
I did the whole bread thing for a while some time back, but it got kind of routine.
That's when I bought a bread machine. It takes a lot of the "fun" out of the process, but if you're done with the "fun," you can still have great homemade bread in a few hours!

Old 11-19-2007, 06:25 AM   #7
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

Well done guys.

Home made bread and beer.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Norfolk, MA
Liked 2469 Times on 1354 Posts

If i can get my sourdough starter to dry properly i can send it to anyone that wants it!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts

I have had a horrendous time getting a sour dough starter from scratch here in Nashville.

I'm gonna try Reinhart's raisin method next, but if that doesn't work I'm gonna have to get some from somewhere else

Old 11-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
ScubaSteve
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
New Bern, NC
Liked 83 Times on 57 Posts

I'm SO doing this. I've kinda played around with pizza dough, but after seeing the baguettes, I was sold. Plus, it's a chance for me to slip a 12 lb scale for AG under SWMBO's radar I'm headed to the store right now!