Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Allagash Brett Strain

Old 01-12-2014, 02:57 AM   #1
ahpsp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Allagash Brett Strain

I just drank a very nice bottle of Midnight Brett from Allagash. Their website says it's an all Brett fermentation ale with their "house" Brett strain. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this strain. I saved the dregs, and would like to do something with them.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:15 AM   #2
statseeker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Get em in a light starter wort and shake em up!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #3
TychoBrahe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I beleive the only beer that Allagash does not filter is their White. I don't believe you have their Brett in those dregs

Edit: let me clarify. They filter out the brett and repitch a clean yeast for bottle refermentation. This was explained by Rob Tod on "The Session" a few years back
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-13-2014, 01:24 AM   #4
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2246 Times on 1519 Posts
Likes Given: 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoBrahe View Post
I beleive the only beer that Allagash does not filter is their White. I don't believe you have their Brett in those dregs

Edit: let me clarify. They filter out the brett and repitch a clean yeast for bottle refermentation. This was explained by Rob Tod on "The Session" a few years back
I've listened to the interview several times and I don't think that's the case. IIRC, he said that at the time they only used one sacc strain and one brett strain at the brewery. Filtration or centrifugation isn't capable of entirely removing any yeast, which is why some breweries choose to flash pasteurize their products, although Allagash does not. They do use a bottling yeast, so if OP grows up the dregs, they will not contain just the brett strain.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 12

From what I know about centrifuging beer and filtering beer (a decent amount), there is brett in this beer. With this being a dark beer they likely do not send it through a DE filter or a plate and frame cellulose sheet filter. They may but most likely not. They likely just spin the beer through the centrifuge at a fairly high throughput just to get heavy yeast load and protein out of the beer. Then the beer is probably bottled using a bottle conditioning system that has a small yeast prop system that they brewhouse will periodically feed and it will just likely contain their house yeast. So there is very likely brett in there.

Also you can completely remove yeast from beer through centrifugation/filtration. It just depends on how you do it. If you centrifuge the beer then send it through a small micron cellulose sheet filter you will remove yeast and protein. This is how you get the clearest beer. If you're removing chill haze proteins and other proteins from the beer you are certainly removing yeast which tend to measure in the 10 micron size. Proteins are much smaller so if they're getting pulled out, the yeast certainly is getting pulled out.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
ChugachBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 86 Posts

I live about 5 min away from Allagash. I'll just see if I can get a slurry, I heard one of the other brewers in our club got some. I also have 1.5 ml tubes I can send it out samples if anyone is interested.

EDIT: They do not give out slurries, the other guy had just cultured it from a bottle.

Don't like ads on the net? Make sure you have Adblock!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
ahpsp
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd love some slurry if it's the pure Brett. I'm disappointed that folks think there is likely Sacc in these dregs.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:53 PM   #8
TychoBrahe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would love some of the brett if you can acquire some!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:03 AM   #9
TychoBrahe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This might be of interest...seems like Jeffrey Crane took dregs from an allagash bottle with interesting results. http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...-sour.html?m=1

Old 01-14-2014, 01:05 AM   #10
Knecht_Rupprecht
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just put some dregs from Midnight Brett into 250ml, so hopefully it's Allagash's house Brett (a tour I took this summer said they harvested it from their coolship).

I did tweet at Allagash today and they responded that there were no other bugs or sacc in. Hopefully that means bottling too.(so far my starter smells like my Brett Trois).

If someone gets a slurry from them I'll happily trade some beers for a sample for your trouble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app