Brewing a Triple Belgium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroncoBeer

Reaction score
Target SG 1.090 FG 1.018 Target ABV 9%

My first Triple. I love the smoothness and kick of this brew. I hope it comes out. Here's the Recipe.

1 lbs Carapils added to 4 1/2 gals of cool water in steeping bag
2 Tsps Gypsum
Remove Carapils when temp reaches 170 degrees. Stir about every 5-10 mins til that time.
Bring to a boil and Remove from heat and add 9 lbs of Light DME
Bring to boil and let boil 5 mins and add 1 oz of Saaz Hops 60 mins
Add 1 lbs Chinese Rock Candy Sugar 30 mins stir 1 min
Add 1 oz East Kent Golding Hops 20 mins
Add 1 Tsp Irish moss 20 Mins
Add 1/2 oz Saaz Hops 10 mins
Add 1 lbs Chinese Rock Sugar 5 mins Stir 1 min
Add 1 1/2 Oz Chamomile at the end of boil in a steeping bag Stir 1 min
Remove from heat and whirlpool wort for 2 mins
Sit wort for 10 mins and chill to 75 degrees or less
Transfer to Fermenter incl the Chamomile
Top off with water to 5 gals
Pitch Safeale S-33
After fermentation gets going (Appx 2 days) add 1 lbs of light brown sugar dissolved in 2 cups of boiling water to fermenter.
In about 10 days you are ready to bottle. Rack beer to a bottling bucket. Prime with 5 oz corn sugar.
2 weeks enjoy....I hope

Thanks to Xtreme Brewing and Dogfish Head for this Recipe :D

I'm pretty shocked there is a pound of carapils in there. I wouldn't add carapils to a tripel, since it isn't fermentable. It adds body to your beer. Don't worry too much, I'm sure it will taste just fine. And if you are going with a tried and true recipe, well, even better.

Also, make sure you take gravity readings so you know when the beer is done. Don't count on it being finished after 10 days. I even recommend leaving it in the fermenter for a few weeks after the gravity readings indicate it is done. Especially for a big beer like that, you want the yeast to take some time to clean things up. Your beer will only improve with another couple of weeks in the carboy.

Hope that helps.

If this is a recipe you enjoy by all means go for it.

I would recommend dropping the carapils though. You want a tripel to finish dry. Not sure what the Chinese rock sugar will contribute. You can use simple table or corn sugar and the difference in your finished product will be minimal if perceived at all. Once again, the large addition of simple sugars is to aid in a dry finish, carapils won't help with that, especially with an extract recipe. Make sure you use an appropriate amount of healthy yeast to ensure full attenuation.

Great tripels have a simple fermentable bill, quality pils and simple sugar. Most if not all of the flavor derived from the yeast. For your first I would recommending starting with a simple tripel with 80-85% malt fermentables and 15-20% simple sugar and honing your control of fermentation, ramping temp, getting full attenuation, etc. then going from there. Just a thought.

Back