Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > New homebrewer

Old 01-16-2014, 03:56 AM   #11
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 35

For a bucket primary just use cheese cloth or a thin towel that has been sterilized and draped over the top. Then take the lid and slightly tap it over the top so it is snug but not on tight. That works fine for primary fermentation. I hope your kit came with a hydrometer. You just use that and once the wine gets as low as 1.010 or lower you can siphon it into the carboy then if you already have a lot of lees or pulp at the bottom or wait a little longer till you have some sediment and then siphon over to the carboy.

What kind of wine do you want to try next? Want to attempt to duplicate grandpa's except for traditional home brew shop wine additives and yeast? Or would you like to try another type of fruit wine?

Old 01-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #12
Descender
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Welcome to your new obsession. Make a six gallon batch next. This will give you a little extra for filling up the carboy (topping off). Try a cider or welchs batch next. Get yeast, nutrient and energizer from your brew store. Be careful with straight citrus, learn the basics first. Take notes with dates and other specifics. Have fun. Be sanitary. Have fun. Buy another carboy. Have fun and be sanitary. There's a wealth of information and experience out there and a lot of it within this community. When you make good brew, it is very, very rewarding. When you get to share with others and they are as impressed as you obviously were, it is truly gratifying. But, it's better than most hobbies, because you get to taylor your booze to your liking. Did I mention sanitation? Have fun!

In Stasis: Rocket fuel

Old 01-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #13
jewelsbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default first wine

My first wine was made from welches frozen concentrate. There are a lot of recipes out there and is cheap to make. Keep good notes on dates and gravity and so on. If it turns out good you can repeat it.
Kdog22 Likes This 
Old 01-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #14
Kdog22
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Welcome to this addicting hobby. I got started with welches concentrate wines and bread yeast. Just out of curiosity and to see if I really could make my own alcohol/wine that easily.. After that first gallon batch, I was hooked. Now I have a stock of carboys, buckets and equipment. It's a VERY rewarding hobby and the possibilities are endless. The hardest part is learning patience.. Good luck man.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #15
Jug3049
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I followed a welch's 100% grape juice frozen concentrate guide on here that was for 1 gallon, but multiplied everything by 5.

I added 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite to about 6 gallons of the must.

How long should I wait before pitching the yeast to it? And when should I start preparing the yeast?

Thanks for all the help!

Old 01-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #16
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Wait at least 24 hours before yeast pitch. If using a dry yeast just rehydrate in warm water for about 10 minutes and pitch. Liquid yeasts you can make a starter a couple hours before pitching yeast.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #17
Jug3049
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

It's been a month since I started 5 gallons in my starting bucket. I siphoned it into my glass carboy today and it's the first time I've had a chance to see how clear it is. It isn't clear at all, it looks like soda.

The starting gravity was 1.098 and it's 1.038 right now with EC-1118 yeast and it's been 30 days. Shouldn't it be even a little clear right now?

Old 02-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #18
jewelsbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is it still bubbling? The yeast is stillworking until gravity reaches .996. At that your abv will be 15%. It will clear when yeast is done.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Home Brew mobile app

Old 02-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #19
RegarRenill
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also, did you give it any yeast nutrient? What temp did you ferment at? EC-1118 is a beast as far as alc tolerance & temp range, but it does have it limits without proper nutrition...