Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Made My First Wine - Many Questions

Old 01-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
NervousDad
BFM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 271

Default Made My First Wine - Many Questions

So, I made my first wine last night (Winexpert Amarone with Grape skins). Went pretty well (I Think) The whole family participated so that was fun

First Issue: The juice smelled like raisins. The kits was made in April of 2013. Should I assume that this is caused by the style of wine? From what I've read they let the grapes sit longer for Amarone?

Second Issue: I missed my SG by .04 points. The acceptable range was 1.090 to 1.10 and I was at 1.086. Could the oak that I put in affected my refractometer? I topped up with the correct about of water (6 gallon line of the bucket) and stirred with a drill for 30 seconds.

Third Issue: When I added the grape skins I didn't add the remaining juice, the instructions said put skins in muslin bag and add to the must, so I assumed I should have left it out. Could that be the reason my SG was low?

Old 01-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1. Yes, no problems there.

2. .04 is so small that it isn't even an issue. You should be using a hydrometer instead of a refractometer.

3. The juice is the best part! It won't hurt anything, but lesson learned.

The biggest problem you are going to have is waiting 18 months to really let this wine develop.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I do not do wine kits really so take my words with a grain of salt but here is what I can share.

The low ABV should be fine. Your mixing and measurements seem fine so I do not think you got a false reading.

Adding the juice the skins were in is probably where you went low on the ABV. In my experience you want as little water and as much juice in your wine as you can manage. That helps to improve body & mouthfeel. Also keeps you from having to boost gravity with sugar which I like to use as little as possible.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
NervousDad
BFM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 271

Thank You! I was so nice and relaxing to make wine, I wish it were as easy to create beer. But, yes waiting for this wine to be consumed will be difficult

I do have to add dextrose to this kit next week to boost the alcohol, I think it should finish around 15%.