Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > lemonade/skeeter pee?

Old 01-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #21
SmokeyMcBong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 315

nice, i left the starter over night. i added a cup of must before i went to sleep and another cup when i got up. it had a nice thick layer of foam on top and smelled delicious. i pitched it into the fermenter after it had been starting for about 16 hours and saw signs of fermentation in the bucket within an hour. she's got a pretty nice head on her now and im happy!

so, should i continue to aerate the must twice a day or do i sit back and let fermentation take over? also, its covered with a kitchen apron held tight by a saran wrap hobo's belt. should i go ahead and put on a sanitized lid and air lock or leave the apron and hobo's belt for the one week suggested in Yoopers lemonade thread (im loosely basing this on her recipe)?

thanks again all for the tips and advice!

Old 01-18-2014, 02:26 AM   #22
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The apron and hobo belt is fine for this first week or until fermentation slows to a crawl at least. I like to aerate/degas a couple times a day for at least the first 3 days. That keeps the yeast happy with plenty of O2 which is needed to grow and it keeps the dissolved CO2 down which helps control PH swings.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #23
SmokeyMcBong
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice Arpolis.

I forgot to mention that I added a handful of raisens (boiled in water for 30 mins) and rasin water to my starter when I built it. These rasins ended up in my fermenter. I read somewhere that the yeast can use rasins as nutrient?

Anyway, when I rack to secondary should these rasins come with or be disguarded? Also should there be much sediment at the bottom of the primary to avoid during transfer?

"Thanks" is getting pretty repetitive but thanks all!!

Old 01-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #24
himadri
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Hi all brewers, I am a newbie from India ( the land where brewing supplies are impossible to come by ). All brewing experience that I have under my cap is a "red wine" from 3 liters of tropicana red grape juice and one kg of sugar with a litter of filtered water. The red wine turned out to be better than many cheap bottles that I used to have during my stay in Boston. My current adventure is a skeeter pee: juice squished out of 140 lemons ( approximately 1 ltr ) 1.5 kg sugar , 3.5 liters of ground water (decided against the filtered water to supply the minerals needed for the yeast ). And gloripan bread yeast. I did not use airlock just plain white cheese cloth. Now my question is since I am brewing in high temperatures 30 to 35 degrees will it be safe to drink or I will get undrinkable amount of fusel oil in the brew?

Old 01-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #25
SmokeyMcBong
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadri View Post
Hi all brewers, I am a newbie from India ( the land where brewing supplies are impossible to come by ). All brewing experience that I have under my cap is a "red wine" from 3 liters of tropicana red grape juice and one kg of sugar with a litter of filtered water. The red wine turned out to be better than many cheap bottles that I used to have during my stay in Boston. My current adventure is a skeeter pee: juice squished out of 140 lemons ( approximately 1 ltr ) 1.5 kg sugar , 3.5 liters of ground water (decided against the filtered water to supply the minerals needed for the yeast ). And gloripan bread yeast. I did not use airlock just plain white cheese cloth. Now my question is since I am brewing in high temperatures 30 to 35 degrees will it be safe to drink or I will get undrinkable amount of fusel oil in the brew?
i'm new as well and am unable to answer your question, someone may come along who can but i suggest that you start a thread in the wine section and ask your question specifically. also a thread in the introduction section is usually a nice way to let people know who you are and you conditions.

welcome aboard and good luck in your fermentations.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #26
himadri
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Thanks. I will go to the introduction section then.

Sent from my Micromax A116 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-20-2014, 02:48 AM   #27
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyMcBong View Post
Thanks for the advice Arpolis.

I forgot to mention that I added a handful of raisens (boiled in water for 30 mins) and rasin water to my starter when I built it. These rasins ended up in my fermenter. I read somewhere that the yeast can use rasins as nutrient?

Anyway, when I rack to secondary should these rasins come with or be disguarded? Also should there be much sediment at the bottom of the primary to avoid during transfer?

"Thanks" is getting pretty repetitive but thanks all!!
I used to put raisins in my starters as additional nutrients back in the day. But i left those out a few times because I had none on hand and got out of the habit when those starters did just fine. The raisins are usually left in the primary. After a couple weeks they are not providing any benifit/flavor at that point.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #28
Texconsinite
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Done 6 batches of SP in various flavors, and never had a problem with yeast getting started.
Heres what i do
1) Use EC 1118. Its fierce
2) Make a 1 gallon starter as shown below
make invert sugar with 2 cups sugar, quart or less of water
Dump into gallon jug with half gallon of 100% juice (your choice, any flavor works, just remember the color may affect final color of your SP)
top w cold water to slightly less that 1 G
Throw dry yeast in when it gets down below 80, shake like crazy, put airlock on

Day 1- Make starter
Day 3- Make SP as instructed (remember that you'll need 1G of space in carboy for starter, I make 5-5.5gallons SP in 6.5G carboy to make it easy) cover w towel
Day 5- Dump entire contents of starter into carboy, cover w airlock
Follow SP instructions from here

5-7 days seems to give the yeast time to get going, and the mix of sugar water and Juice creates a favorable environment for it to get rolling so it can handle the preservatives in the lemon juice.

Also, I make 6-6.25 Gallons of SP in a 6.5 Gallon carboy, ratehr than 5 liek the recipe calls for. Unlike beer, it doesnt foam up and blow the airlock, so headspace has never been an issue. As fast as you will drink this once its done, youll be glad you added that little extra sugar water to make 6.5 instead of 5.

Good luck, love SP, easy, inexpensive and fun recipe to experiment with
SmokeyMcBong Likes This 
Old 01-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #29
SmokeyMcBong
Recipes 

thanks for all the replies again guys.

i asked in a different thread but seeing as it involves this batch, maybe i'll ask here too. about sparkolloid, will it strip enough yeast out of my wine that it wouldn't bottle carb up with just the addition of sugar at bottleing time or would it need yeast as well as sugar at bottling time?

again, i appreciate all the help and advice.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #30
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

It should not strip too much yeast out. As long as your yeast strain is well under it's ABV limit then it should be fine. Slow but fine.

However when I tried to do this on my first SP batch I tried to bottle carb and I used lalvin 71b yeast... It never carbed up and it was well below the ABV limit. So some strains may be too shocked by the low acidity.

Hopefully someone who has successfully done this may chime in.