DIY Gallon Markers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skitter

Reaction score
Any way to make your own markers without adding a sight glass? I could probably add a sight glass if I could find one to fit my pot, and if I could do compression fittings. I would rather figure out how to do it without buying too much more.

I bought this pot for use in my 2.5g batches, but rather than having to use a pitcher for measurement I figured it would be easier for me to be able to mark it somehow. That would also make it easier to track boil-off.

Thanks!

Notch your stirring spoon/mash paddle/whatever utensil you use so all you have to do is touch the bottom and read where the wort level is according to the notches.

No need to dip anything down inside either.

Seems like the common method is to measure from the bottom up. Just do the calibrations and measure from the top down to your liquid level with a metal ruler.

Any version of the "calibrated stick" listed is fine. I still do not have a sightglass after 15 years of brewing.

I marked gradations on the inside of my old boil kettle with a tungsten pen. Worked well

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Before I got my new setup I had an aluminum kettle. I went to menards, bought a piece of 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum, cut it and bent it so that I could "hook" it over the lip of the kettle and the rest would dangle to just about the bottom of the kettle.

Then, I calibrated/marked it, drilled small 1/16" holes at each marking and used a punch set to hammer in the value at each full gallon.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388961492.553209.jpg

Nice! I have a leftover oak dowel I will probably end up using. Any tips on cleaning/sealing it?

Oh, and what can I mark it with that won't leech into my beer?

Back