Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Smell after fermentation

Old 01-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
hawkeyes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Smell after fermentation

So when fermenation is done, I open up the bucket to get a sample for FG. Is it normal to have a odd smell? Is it the krausen on the side of the bucket. What smell is normal?

Old 01-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

What were you brewing, and what do you mean by "odd"?

Old 01-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
hawkeyes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
What were you brewing, and what do you mean by "odd"?
Jalapeno Pepper Ale, Cream ale base. I used us-05. I guess its a strong sour smell. It's hard to describe. All my buckets end up with this smell after fermentation is complete. I am starting to wonder if I should either replace all my buckets or move to glass carboys.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
BigFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyes View Post
Jalapeno Pepper Ale, Cream ale base. I used us-05. I guess its a strong sour smell. It's hard to describe. All my buckets end up with this smell after fermentation is complete. I am starting to wonder if I should either replace all my buckets or move to glass carboys.
My buckets smell like yeast after I've fermented a batch. I give them an immediate rinse, an overnight soak with homemade PBW (2 parts Oxy, 1 part TSP), another really good rinse and then store them inside to dry. The smell is almost completely done after a few days.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Most ferments do have some sort of odor, depends on the yeast and hop combination. Some odors linger after washing the buckets. I have no idea what jalepenos do to the smell either.

I fill my primary buckets with PBW after every batch to clear out whatever odors and residues might linger, odor hasn't been a problem. Putting the dry buckets in the sun for a while will help dispel odors too. As long as the buckets are clean and sanitized a little residual odor shouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #6
hawkeyes
Recipes 

I guess I am more concern of what it smells like after fermentation with the beer inside. Should it be a sourish smell? It doesn't smell good.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
TungstenBeer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyes View Post
I guess I am more concern of what it smells like after fermentation with the beer inside. Should it be a sourish smell? It doesn't smell good.

It shouldn't be sour, but I think a lot of people have different terms for how something smells too.

Does it smell sulfur-ish? A lot of beers can have a bit of that smell - in my opinion, especially when there's not a large hop aroma.

How does it taste?

Old 01-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
hawkeyes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TungstenBeer View Post
It shouldn't be sour, but I think a lot of people have different terms for how something smells too.

Does it smell sulfur-ish? A lot of beers can have a bit of that smell - in my opinion, especially when there's not a large hop aroma.

How does it taste?
No Sulfur-ish smell, it's hard to describe. Right now I can't really smell it because I added jalapenos. Now it just smells like jalapenos. The taste is fine.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #9
prohl84
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 124

The taste is fine? You're good as gold. I have drank some clean, tasty beers that smelled dubiously rank on bottling day but they tasted right. A variety of odors from chemical/ alcohol; sourish (usually big stouts) to a horrible rancid squash smell in a butternut beer I once made that had cleaned up by the time the beer had carb'd. That one I was particularly worried about- turned out to be one of the better brews I have made. RDWHAHB.

I have also experienced some lingering fermenter stink that has no detectable affect on future beers- to my finely tuned (mild sarcasm) palate.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
IronLion409
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

May be inappropriate to respond since I use glass carboys but my carboys always smell very much like what the beer smells and tastes like when finished.