Sous Vide immersion circulator for mash temp control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jCOSbrew

Reaction score
I have used my ebrewing setup a couple times for sous vide (heat meat for a long time at a controlled temp) and was thinking about getting one of the new immersion circulators from Anova or similar.
http://anovaculinary.com/

Basically you clamp it on a pot, heats water to a precise temp and circulates with a pump.

Has anyone tried to use one of these to control mash temps for small volume electric brewing (5 gallons or less)?

You would need a grain bag to prevent stuff from getting into the pump. It would take all day for this device to heat a large volume of water and it wouldn't be suitable for the boil.

Looks like an interesting, but expensive solution. As far as time to temperature, I'd use either a burner or my induction plate to get to around 140 degrees and then fire up the sous vide.

I think your better off recirculating your mash through a closed system that does not come in contact with the circulator. The units you are looking at will not be strong enough. You need 2500 watts to ramp up for a step mash and 1200 to hold temp. I just posted a short video demo of my new set up that may be of interest to you. Basically you need another form of heat to help manage temps. I have used my burner and an induction burner to hold temps. The circulatory can only manage about 8 gallons of consistent temp control.

Back