Dry hop squeeze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShootersBrewCrew

Reaction score
Okay so we finished our very first APA.

.5lb biscuit malt
.5lb caramel/crystal malt

3oz cascade hops (dry hopped with 1 oz if the cascades)

Yeast: safale-05

Started at 1.048
Finished at 1.012

The taste is a taste I am not familiar with. This was a kit from the local brew house so not very familiar with the malt characteristics.

My biggest concern was that we squeezed the dry hop bag. My fear is that we released tannins into the beer by doing that giving the beer a funky hoppy taste and smell.

Is there an issue with squeezing the dry hop bag?

To my knowledge, hops don't produce tannins. I squeeze my hop bags when I remove them from the beer before bottling to no ill effect. I have heard people attribute grassiness to squeezing but I have not seen it.

I don't understand your recipe which has only 1 lb grain but that is another topic.

Hope that helps.

I squeeze the hop sacks, and I haven't detected any flavor I could contribute directly to that. I don't wring it out aggressively. I just normally squeeze it against the side of the fermenter with a sanitized spoon.

How would you describe the flavor that's causing you to question things?

I do this all the time with my beers. I love getting every last bit of those wonderful hops. You'll be fine.

Thank you all! I appreciate the input. As far as the grain goes it was an extract kit and had 6lbs of LME in addition.

I squeeze the hop sacks, and I haven't detected any flavor I could contribute directly to that. I don't wring it out aggressively. I just normally squeeze it against the side of the fermenter with a sanitized spoon.

How would you describe the flavor that's causing you to question things?

It tastes grassy and fruity but not a tasty fruit. Idk I followed the recipe and can't figure out if this is how it is supposed to taste or if something went wrong.

How long did you leave it in primary? Length of dry hop? Time since bottling? It sounds like maybe it just needs some time to mellow and flavors to blend

We fermented for 2 weeks in the primary. Dry hopped in the secondary for 2 weeks. Bottled 1 week ago. I know it could be too young yet to taste anywhere near where it should.

2 weeks is a long time for dry hops. That's quite likely your grassy flavor source.

As far as the fruity aspect goes, I'm guessing yeast derived. What temp did you pitch at? Best to be in the 60s for the first 24-48 hours.

We pitched at 68 degrees. And fermented there for the entire fermentation process.

I was afraid of the length of time dry hopping was too long. Either way it is quite an aroma haha!

I dry hop 2 weeks regularly with no ill affects. I have never squeezed a hop bag. I usually leave the hops to swim free. I left some citra in for 4 months once ..... it was a great beer.

Latest posts

Back