Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > odd looking head but great flavor- Your thoughts

Old 11-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #11
Ó Flannagáin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Kolsch actually And a pretty standard head on a nice homebrew, nothing to worry about.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:31 PM   #12
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

No, that is not what I was referring to at all. The one I get is after most of the head disapates, and the remaining head breaks up into 'clumps' or islands. I will try and take a pic, but I am forgetful.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:35 PM   #13
El_Borracho
Recipes 

No I think he means that thick, small/compact/dense bubble head like on stouts.. then the head sort of dissipates a little and you get left with little solid looking collections of head and thinner swirls of it around.. I get it from my Sam Adams brews all the time. I thought it was my glass's. I use American Pint glasses but they have ridges on the inside.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #14
Beertk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbies
No, that is not what I was referring to at all. The one I get is after most of the head disapates, and the remaining head breaks up into 'clumps' or islands. I will try and take a pic, but I am forgetful.
You hit the nail on the (you guessed it) head. That is exactly what I see in my beer. Not a head that stands up and takes a bow like EdWorts. It does stand up for a good 5-10 minutes but by the time I am 3/4 of the way down the glass then I get the islands.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:53 AM   #15
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Yeah, mine's not like Ed Wort's picture at all. It's also when the head dissipates and breaks up into islands of bubbles that stay together even when roused.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #16
denimglen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Maybe it's what you're using to clean the glassware?

Could be rinse-aid type stuff breaking down the head just leaving islands in the middle where the stuff hasn't got to yet. That's my theory.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #17
Beertk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I tried rinsing the glasses. It did not correct the problem.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:53 PM   #18
El_Borracho
Recipes 

You guys don't pour then wait for the head to settle? I always drank from bottles until the day I signed up here..

I rinse my glass, leave upside down on a paper towel, grab beer, open, pour, smell, put back on counter.. take a whizz, grab my beer and then start drinking.. The head settles and I get better flavor (i think) when I let the beer settle in the glass a couple of minutes.. most beers lose their head, not the stouts I buy..

Old 09-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #19
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Do you mean something like this? Usually I get a star pattern of sorts, and I'm trying to figure it out myself. I start out with a great head which slowly subsides and breaks apart into sections similar to this. I think it has to do with head retention issues. After to listening to a recent Brew Strong podcast I think it might be due to me using a paint stirrer to aerate which would break down a lot of the "foam-once" proteins.

Click image for larger version

Name:	islands.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	32904