Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What can I make with these ingredients?

Old 12-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
Photopilot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default What can I make with these ingredients?

I had not brewed in a few months and have a few bags of grain sitting around. I have a few bags of base grain and a few bags of specialty grains ready for a brew session.

One of the bags is marked with all the grains mixed in together:

2.5 lbs 60L Crystal
10 oz peat smoked
4 oz black patent.

I can't remember what I was planning on brewing when I bought this package of grains. I am thinking a Scottish Ale or a Smoked Porter based on the ingredients. Although the sm. Peat may be a bit much for either of these two styles. I would appreciate any suggestions for what these ingredients would work with so I can create a base grain and hop profile to make some beer.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Photopilot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I am thinking the 10 oz of smoked peat grain might be too strong. I made a smoked porter in the past using Rauch Malt. The smoke flavor was so strong it is just getting drinkable a few years later, I don't want to do that again.

What do you all think, will 10 oz of sm peat be too much for a 12 gallon batch? If so I can split the grains in half and mix it with some others to come up with my specialty grains.