where to order rhizomes???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBEWJamie

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked but I've searched the internet pretty hard and cant really find what I'm looking for. I'm wanting to find a place that offers a big selection. Last year I ordered from Northwest Hops and I was very happy with them but they don't offer what I'm looking for, for this year or I would definitely order from them. I'm looking for....
liberty
(not sure if these are available to sell) simcoe, vanguard, summit, warrior
and so on. I'm looking for hops for IPA's and also some good aroma hops.
Thanks for looking

I checked out their website but I couldn't find anything that spells out why a crown would be better than a rhizome. At least I didn't understand, but I have no green thumb to rely on. Does anyone have experience with them.

I got 5 Rhizomes from here last year http://www.freshops.com/ I had bought 5 from my LHBS and they were so dried out and about dead compared to the ones from Fresh hops. I got Twine also to string them up and I only paid about $35 if I remember correctly. I got about 1oz of harvest off my Zeus plant in the first year. Check them out and see what you think.

crowns from great lake hops is the way to go. they are living, sprouted plants, not a piece of naked root.

you will get a better harvest the first year than you will with a rhizome.

Rhizomes are good to go. Use the money for the raised bed. Use a sandy dirt mixture.

Growers have problems with rhizomes. This has to do with quarantines out in Washington and Oregon. Because they can't ship plants within their own states, they export them to resellers who then distribute the product. The problem really has to do with the fact that you rarely have any idea where your rhizome actually came from. Freshhops, NorthernBrewer, and a host of other salesman don't actually grow their own plants. Instead they get rhizomes in bulk from the fields out west. They may be fresh and stored well, or they may be stored badly and taken from a diseased hopyard that is 20 years old... You just don't know.

May growers report losses of around 50% with rhizomes. Even though they are cheaper, they also tell you to put 2 to 4 rhizomes per hill to ensure a successful start.

It only takes one of our plants per hill to be successful.

The problems that people had growing rhizomes is actually why we started Great Lakes Hops. Our plants have been growing on site for at least a year, which gives you a product that is likely to yield the first season. Our plants take on average of about 2 - 3 years to mature, which is about a year or more faster than most rhizomes. In addition our propagation is done from visually inspected virus indexed stock. That is something you will never find from a rhizome salesman.

Growers have problems with rhizomes. This has to do with quarantines out in Washington and Oregon. Because they can't ship plants within their own states, they export them to resellers who then distribute the product. The problem really has to do with the fact that you rarely have any idea where your rhizome actually came from. Freshhops, NorthernBrewer, and a host of other salesman don't actually grow their own plants. Instead they get rhizomes in bulk from the fields out west. They may be fresh and stored well, or they may be stored badly and taken from a diseased hopyard that is 20 years old... You just don't know.

May growers report losses of around 50% with rhizomes. Even though they are cheaper, they also tell you to put 2 to 4 rhizomes per hill to ensure a successful start.

The problems that people had growing rhizomes is actually why we started Great Lakes Hops. Our plants have been growing on site for at least a year, which gives you a product that is likely to yield the first season. Our plants take on average of about 2 - 3 years to mature, which is about a year or more faster than most rhizomes. In addition our propagation is done from visually inspected virus indexed stock. That is something you will never find from a rhizome salesman.

This, if i wasn't in Oregon and literally getting the rhizome 1-2 days after it was cut i would use crowns.

I'm looking for....
liberty
(not sure if these are available to sell) simcoe, vanguard, summit, warrior
and so on. I'm looking for hops for IPA's and also some good aroma hops.
GLH has liberty.

no one has simcoe, summit or warrior - they are patented varieties. they aren't available to the public.

if you're looking for IPA hops: centennial, cascade, chinook, columbus/zeus, and i'd be curious about Pacific Gem and Super Alpha.

Or the New Mexico hops. Neo1 is a super lemon / citrus flavor. Would make a good IPA.

This, if i wasn't in Oregon and literally getting the rhizome 1-2 days after it was cut i would use crowns.

It's a shame they won't let us ship our crowns into Washington and Oregon actually.

It's always seemed a little bit unfair that growers in Washington and Oregon can send any quality of rhizomes out, but they have strict guidelines for people trying to send hop plants/rhizomes in.

At some point the growers in Michigan may actually have to ask the USDA to adopt the same quarantines that Washington and Oregon have, so that growers from outside of Michigan cannot ship rhizomes in without meeting the same sort of inspections and requirements.

The problem really has to do with the fact that you rarely have any idea where your rhizome actually came from. Freshhops, NorthernBrewer, and a host of other salesman don't actually grow their own plants. Instead they get rhizomes in bulk from the fields out west. They may be fresh and stored well, or they may be stored badly and taken from a diseased hopyard that is 20 years old... You just don't know.

I can't speak for all suppliers, but I know as a fact that Freshops works with local growers in the Willamette Valley and that those rhizomes are dug, sorted, graded and refrigerated all in the same day. Some of the other suppliers online are essentially middle-men who buy from folks like Freshops and other farm sources. This is where potential problems can arise due to the fact that you're dealing with a perishable type of product and the more times that product changes hands, the more chances of mishandling that can occur. Just sayin'~

hey GLH, why can't i order Neo1 and Sorachi Ace? they're listed under "commercial pre-order", so you do have them... don't make me order from somewhere else! :D

(p.s. looks like you have a typo in "Sorachi" - i've never seen it spelled with an "e" at the end)

I would recommend buying your rhizomes directly from a farm to remove the middle man, oh also one that's a HBT vendor!

tall-hops.jpg

Thanks for all the post!!!! I ended up ordering from Northwest Hops in early Feb. I ordered 4 rhizomes from them last year and had no problems. All 4 grew and I got cones off of 3 of the plants. They had a different selection from last year and I was able to get a few that I wanted. I have looked at great lakes hops a few times and I know that I would be buying a plant and not a root but, I have a hard time paying shipping on anything I buy. It cost me right around $27 for the rhizomes I ordered this year. It was going to cost me around $50 plus shipping for the plants I wanted from great lakes. I know its apples to oranges but I don't have a lot of luck with growing things and would rather loose $27 then say $50 + shipping. With this years rhizome order, I have completely filled up all my space for my hop trellis. If things go well with what I have so far, I would like to building a gazebo covered in hops in a few years and if I do that I might try the crowns. Thanks again for all the post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey GLH, why can't i order Neo1 and Sorachi Ace? they're listed under "commercial pre-order", so you do have them... don't make me order from somewhere else! :D

(p.s. looks like you have a typo in "Sorachi" - i've never seen it spelled with an "e" at the end)

Haha.. Good luck even finding Sorachi Ace anywhere else. Kudos if you do, it took us forever to get a hold of it. Now its growing in house as a virus indexed plant... (Spoiler Alert: It is one of the worst growing cultivars we've ever seen)

Basically with the new varieties we received late 2013; We do not yet have a large enough quantity of them to release them to home brewers. We're still trying to meet the demands for commercial growers for this Spring. So there are minimum order quantities of 240 of each variety for the time being until we can get ahead of the curve and build a large enough inventory of established plants... They are coming eventually but we have decided to hold off on releasing them all in the hops that commercial growers can get them to market as soon as possible! We feel its important to get yards of varieties like Columbia, Mt. Rainier, Bitter Gold, Tohoma, and Sorachi Ace established to get as many of them as possible to the craft brewers.

Thanks for all the post!!!! I ended up ordering from Northwest Hops in early Feb. I ordered 4 rhizomes from them last year and had no problems. All 4 grew and I got cones off of 3 of the plants. They had a different selection from last year and I was able to get a few that I wanted. I have looked at great lakes hops a few times and I know that I would be buying a plant and not a root but, I have a hard time paying shipping on anything I buy. It cost me right around $27 for the rhizomes I ordered this year. It was going to cost me around $50 plus shipping for the plants I wanted from great lakes. I know its apples to oranges but I don't have a lot of luck with growing things and would rather loose $27 then say $50 + shipping. With this years rhizome order, I have completely filled up all my space for my hop trellis. If things go well with what I have so far, I would like to building a gazebo covered in hops in a few years and if I do that I might try the crowns. Thanks again for all the post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've discovered the only downside to plugs compared to rhizomes. Rhizomes will always be cheaper to ship because they are just sticks. Our plants have been growing for multiple months and since they usually ship to you alive with green growth, they require some dirt or soiless media when shipping. For all orders between 1 - 5 plants, it should be $11.50 because the plants go out USPS flat rate.

No hard feelings though! If your rhizomes don't spout, you can still order plants form us later in the season. Rhizomes ship in the Spring only, but we sell plants all year long! :)

DIY brewing are still selling rhizomes. Most of the places already stop taking Preorders.

If you're looking for Mount Hood, Sterling, or Nugget, this seller on Ebay sells hop crowns 3-5 years old. I made my first order from them this year and the bines came up THICK. These are mature plants and they're growing FAST. They've run out of a few varieties so if you like these varieties, go for it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEER-HOPS-C...986?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecf5f4932

Great Lakes as previously mentioned sells crowns as well and my experience so far has been great.

I will have a list by Monday, Right now all I can say are cascade, but I am sure That I will have many more. I just want to dig some for qa because of the horrible winter we had.

Now that is quality!

cool! what varieties?

Here are the varieties I can sell this year.

2014 RHIZOME PRICES

CASCADE 2 EA OR 6/10
CHINOOK 3 EA
GALENA 3 EA
CENTENAL 3 EA
GLACIER 3EA
HALLERTAU 3EA
MAGNUM 3EA
GOLDING 3EA
TETNAG 3EA
FUGGLE 3EA
WILLIIMETTE 3EA

Shipping is 6.00 for up to 15.
Normal state restrictions apply. no WA, HI OR OR INTERNATIONAL, SORRY

Just shoot me a PM. and I will send an invoice to get the auto shipping from paypal.

You sold me! I just ordered 2 cascade plants from you! :mug:

All my rhizomes are planted and growing great!!!! Out of last years rhizomes, I had ordered 4 and all 4 grew. As of right now 2 of the 4 have sprouted. If the other ones don't sprout, I will order plants from Great Lakes Hops to replace them. Thanks for all the post!!!!

IMG_20140411_195355_858.jpg

Back