First batch ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkolts21

Reaction score
Guys what's up. I am brewing my first batch. it is a ale the one that BSG tills you should brew for your first time. Q is it is one day 4 of fermentation and it has stop bobbling out of the airlock is this normal? Thanks for the help. This pic is from today everything looks like is is falling.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388109241.326625.jpg

And there looks like there is no movement in it. Like it day yesterday and the days before.

'Normal' depends on what yeast strain you are using and what temp. If its WLP001 and your at 66-68 deg F (19-20C) that's pretty normal. Lack of airlock activity doesn't necessarily mean yeast activity has ended. Testing it with a hydrometer is the only way to know.

Looks normal to me for day four. Every beer ferments differently. You should leave it alone for another week then check the gravity with a hydrometer. It will start to clear as the yeast drops out of suspension. You want to make sure you reached your final gravity before you bottle if you are bottling. And even if you are at your final gravity, it's best to leave it in ether for at least 2 weeks total. The yeast create some byproducts during fermentation. Once the yeast consume all the sugars they are going to, they will clean up some of the byproducts that can cause off flavors. But yes, looks good so far. Congrats on your first brew and welcome to the obsession. There are plenty of threads to read here to help you and don't be afraid to ask questions. Most people here are super friendly and enjoy sharing thoughts to help you out.

US-05 (dry) is the same strain as WLP001(liquid). Just thought I'd share since a previous poster mentioned it and that should give you some more reassurance.

PDX.
I am going to wait 2 weeks because of the +1 everyone loves the +1 one and I am not joking. Thanks for the help guys

So I just tested and I am at 1.011 my target range is 1.003 to 1.009. Fo you think the extra week will get me there?

So I just tested and I am at 1.011 my target range is 1.003 to 1.009. Fo you think the extra week will get me there?

Yes it should!:D

if not wait one week (Jan.5) take another reading if its the same(1.011) rack in to your secondary ( to get it off the trub) leave it in the secondary for another week or two, then bottle. if you dont have a secondary leave it for another week any way, then bottle. :mug:

Yes it should!:D

if not wait one week (Jan.5) take another reading if its the same(1.011) rack in to your secondary ( to get it off the trub) leave it in the secondary for another week or two, then bottle. if you dont have a secondary leave it for another week any way, then bottle. :mug:

Why complicate things with a secondary on a person's first brew? Why secondary at all, anyway?
Leave it alone a week, and if at a stable gravity bottle it.
Good luck with your brew.

Latest posts

Back