Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Want to brew my first iipa

Old 12-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
Soldevi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Want to brew my first iipa

The only thing I don't have is a way to oxygenate my wort.

I do have a small aquarium pump but no stone. Should I attempt this brew without an oxygen tank? Or should I wait?

Og is anticipated to be around 1.087.

Cheers

Old 12-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Jim_Holmes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

you can oxygenate by pouring the wort back and forth between your brewpot and fermenter a couple of times after its cooled

Old 12-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Soldevi
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Do you think I'm going to get enough oxygen in the wort that way for a healthy fermentation? I'm gonna need this to finish pretty dry, and will be using liquid yeast.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
IL1kebeer
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldevi
The only thing I don't have is a way to oxygenate my wort. I do have a small aquarium pump but no stone. Should I attempt this brew without an oxygen tank? Or should I wait? Og is anticipated to be around 1.087. Cheers
If you are going to do beer that big without pure o2 then you will have problems with attenuation and off flavors. It is impossible to get the required amount of dissolved o2 into solution by any other means, including shaking, splashing, aquarium pumps etc. This information can be found in multiple credible brewing resources with a little bit of research. The book "Yeast" and the Wyeast website have great information about the benefits of optimum o2 levels, as well as information on how much oxygen the various methods will provide. There are plenty of other resources that cover this as well.

However, I see people say that they do big beers without pure o2 all the time on HBT. I have done it both ways and can say from experience that big beers attenuate better and taste better with pure o2. Final gravity is reached faster as well. You certainly CAN do a beer that big without pure o2, but it's really not the best way to do things and you may be posting here a week later asking why your FG is so high.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
Soldevi
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL1kebeer View Post
If you are going to do beer that big without pure o2 then you will have problems with attenuation and off flavors. You certainly CAN do a beer that big without pure o2, but it's really not the best way to do things and you may be posting here a week later asking why your FG is so high.
This is exactly what I'm worried about. A beer like this is not really cheap to brew and if I will have a greater possibly of success with the tank then its probably time I get one.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
IL1kebeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldevi
This is exactly what I'm worried about. A beer like this is not really cheap to brew and if I will have a greater possibly of success with the tank then its probably time I get one.
Yeah. Don't cut corners. You will still end up making beer by splashing or shaking or whatever, but the chances for headaches, problems, and a subpar batch are high. You are right by wanting to use pure o2 for this beer. Trust me, you won't regret your decision.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Soldevi
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm sure it'll be a worthy investment.
IL1kebeer Likes This 
Old 12-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 119 Posts

1.087 isn't that high, you will be completely fine without pure O2. you can always pitch extra to overcome lack of ideal amount of oxygen if you're still worried

Old 12-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
IL1kebeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27
1.087 isn't that high, you will be completely fine without pure O2.
1.087 is absolutely high enough of an OG to have less than 8ppm of dissolved o2 in solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27
you can always pitch extra to overcome lack of ideal amount of oxygen if you're still worried
Yeah. Good advice. Way to teach him how to brew high OG beers like a hillbilly and keep him from using pure o2, which is unquestionably the best way to oxygenate.
hnycrk Likes This 
Old 12-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5931 Times on 4229 Posts
Likes Given: 1514

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
1.087 isn't that high, you will be completely fine without pure O2. you can always pitch extra to overcome lack of ideal amount of oxygen if you're still worried
I agree. I don't have a pure oxygen system myself. If you shake, stir, agitate the wort you can get 8 ppm or so into the wort. While it's not as high as you'd get with pure o2, it will work out.

Much more important in my opinion is to make sure to make an appropriately sized starter. Use a yeast pitching calculator like like mrmalty.com or yeastcalc.com to ensure the proper amount of yeast. That should work out great for that OG.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
CA_Mouse Likes This