Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 4 picnic taps or 2 perlicks?

Old 12-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Justdrumin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default 4 picnic taps or 2 perlicks?

So I started my keezer build with the SWMBO's permission. I bought my chest freezer and four ball locks...then the complaining started. Sooooooooo...my plans for a 4 tap perlick system was shot down at about 4-5 bills. So I am now making a tough decision. She has said that we have a budget that will allow me 4 picnic taps or 2 perlicks, maybe even a dual body regulator. If you were in my predicament...what would your choice be? I'm really leaning toward the perlicks. I will eventually be upgrading to 6 taps which is the max for my keezer.

Kegged: Vienna Lager, House Amber, Helles Lager
Future: Kaiser Alt, Oktoberfest Lager, Summer in Helles, BierMunchers Centennial Blonde, Fesh Squeezed IPA.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
jdub1782
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

get the two perlick's, you can always leave a picnic or two on the inside and add more perlick's later when you get the funds

Old 12-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 847 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 228

How many kegs, and how much do you brew. You can start with a combination and switch out to faucets as time goes by. I intend to do one at a time. Right now I can fit 3 kegs in the bottom of my spare fridge and they have picnic taps. I have to decide whether I am going to make a keezer or add some taps to the fridge.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub1782 View Post
get the two perlick's, you can always leave a picnic or two on the inside and add more perlick's later when you get the funds

^^This^^

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 12-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #5
Justdrumin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
^^This^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub1782 View Post

This is exactly what I was thinking. I have a chest freezer that will hold a total of six ball locks. I have four at the moment, but I can't have four perlicks. So I'm thinking two perlicks will do for now. I may get a manifold for four and with two picnic taps. Well see what the SWMBO says. I suppose it'll do for now. I def don't brew as often as I'd like. I'll have to brew more now to keep all four kegs full though
Future: Kaiser Alt, Oktoberfest Lager, Summer in Helles, BierMunchers Centennial Blonde, Fesh Squeezed IPA.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Justdrumin
Recipes 

So I've settled on getting a two tap system from kegconnection with the perlick 525ss upgrade on both from recommendations on everything I have read about the cheap chrome ones on here being a waste of time. This will also come with a dual manifold. I am also going to opt for 10' lines, which seems to be the right length from what I've read.

Next I just found a great deal on homebrew finds for a taprite dual body for $97 shipped. Then I'm going to buy a line cleaning brush ( just for something cheap to put it over $100 but reccomendations for something better would be appreciated) to put it over $100 and use a $10 off coupon code making the brush .88 cents. Not bad!

I wanted to add a single picnic tap with a gas line that way I can force carb with the secondary regulator and serve when not force carbing. My question is...if I'm serving and want to force carb a keg am I able to just disconnect the gas side from the serving keg to force carb another without it bein a pita? I'm a total noob with kegging as this will be my first setup. Thanks a ton! I hopefully ill be able to put the order in for this stuff soon!

Old 12-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
ericbw
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would get a 4-outlet manifold and save the money on a dual regulator at first. You can then run 4 lines at a time (same psi) or turn them on and off as needed.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Agree, dual body regulator not super essential, manifold is probably better to start.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Justdrumin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbw View Post
I would get a 4-outlet manifold and save the money on a dual regulator at first. You can then run 4 lines at a time (same psi) or turn them on and off as needed.
I was also considering this option, but I wanted to be able to force carb and serve at the same time. Unless this is achievable without a dual body and i dont know it.

Edit: Would you recommend buying a 6 way manifold since I do plan on having six eventually?

Old 12-27-2013, 03:38 AM   #10
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You can force carb and serve at same pressure... Forcing at a higher pressure only gets you on tap a few days sooner, once you have 4 on tap there won't be the rush to do so, trust me. 6-way would be good if that's your eventual plan.