Star San: what you don't want to do with it - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Star San: what you don't want to do with it

Old 12-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #21
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May 2011
Medford, WI
Liked 1133 Times on 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I've saved the good caps from spent starsan bottles for the next time one cracks. They've cracked twice on me, but I'm prepared for the next time.
Go Red Green. Cracked cap with duct tape underneath. Has held for over a year now.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:55 AM   #22
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 167 Times on 121 Posts

Thankfully I'm super paranoid of brew chemicalsl - bottle of concentrated acid seems like a bad thing to get everywhere. It also helps I haven't renovated the kitchen and have ancient white laminate countertops.

I did accidentally etch a garage floor when a gallon bottle dropped and cracked, spilling 4 oz on the floor. Hazard clean up in isle 3!

People Like This 
Old 12-26-2013, 02:57 AM   #23
cjgenever
Recipes 

Dec 2013
Liked 103 Times on 86 Posts

Undiluted it will etch glass.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #24
nhansen
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Council Bluffs, IA
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I need to hide this thread from SWMBO. She's been agitating for new counters in the kitchen for years. I can see her stooping to dropping $50 on StarSan and having an "accident"

Newsman Likes This 
Old 12-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #25
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theck View Post
Wife was SUPER pissed when I did that to our 1 year old solid surface counter... It was with a diluted spray bottle, you can see a ring where the bottle was. Sucks.
That'll buff out. Literally. Use a really fine Scotchbrite pad, then Gel Gloss to bring the shine back.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #26
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2011
The Frozen Tundra, NY
Liked 1207 Times on 788 Posts

Star-San is some amazing stuff. I didn't know about the countertops. I have one in my garage and I spray it down all the time prior to brewing. I'll have to take a closer look at it.

I did make the mistake of storing diluted Star-San in a plastic jug. It ate a hole thorough the jug in a few weeks. I had Star-San everywhere.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #27
ianw58
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Lincoln, California
Liked 72 Times on 55 Posts

Hmmm....

Something must be wrong with my StarSan.

I have an orange juice bottle (heavy gallon style) that always has made up sanitizer in it for brew days. It's at least a year old, now, with no holes.

I regularly spray down counters and surfaces with StarSan when working with yeast. I've even been know to use it on the kitchen on counters after cutting up chicken! Never have any stains or problems. Our kitchen counters are granite. My Brewhouse is Formica.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #28
Jayhem
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Culpeper, VA
Liked 278 Times on 225 Posts

Could be worse. You could see a dab of sticky substance on your counter-top and taste it because it has the consistency of honey...and it ends up being dried, concentrated star san acid! Yea...that will wake you up!
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

Newsman Likes This 
Old 12-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #29
theck
Recipes 

Sep 2013
lakewood, ohio
Liked 74 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
That'll buff out. Literally. Use a really fine Scotchbrite pad, then Gel Gloss to bring the shine back.
Ya I have scratches such I used to fuss with but figure the kids will just keep on doing it so why worry so much. I plan on just doing a light cleanup every couple years, love the solid surface counters but they don't take heat too well and scratch kinda easily. Looking back I should have done a darker color too, the light colors really scratch bright.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 12-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #30
pelipen
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Philly, PA
Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theck View Post
Ya I have scratches such I used to fuss with but figure the kids will just keep on doing it so why worry so much. I plan on just doing a light cleanup every couple years, love the solid surface counters but they don't take heat too well and scratch kinda easily. Looking back I should have done a darker color too, the light colors really scratch bright.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app
The unglazed bottoms of ceramic dishes are death to the counters. Every time I hear one slide I cringe. I buffed out the entire island, and it needs it again, but I give up.