Slow Carbonation - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Slow Carbonation
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 12-23-2013, 03:03 AM   #1
comicsandbeer83
Recipes 

Nov 2013
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I bottled one week ago today and I opened one to check on it and it had a slight bit of carbonation to it but not much. Made the faintest hiss when I opened the top off of it. I assume that if I just wait another week it should be even better carbonated? Hopefully this isn't as good as it gets. This being my first batch I am very impatient.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
NY_HomeBrew_Student
Recipes 

Oct 2013
, NY/MA
Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Patience is a virtue. Definitely wait another 2 weeks. It will be perfectly carbonated. What did you brew? How did it taste?

Old 12-23-2013, 04:15 AM   #3
comicsandbeer83
Recipes 

Nov 2013
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

it's a brown ale. It came out good. Very malty. Not a lot of hop flavor to it, which is a bit of a drag. I wish I had boiled the bitter hops longer. But as a first beer I am pretty pleased with it.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Jan 2013
The Hinterland of the South Shore, Massachusetts
Liked 659 Times on 461 Posts

Stow it away someplace and brew something else. If you like it now, it will blow your mind in a few weeks. Bottle carbonation can take a while. The mantra is 3 weeks at 70F for carbonation, which is OK for most average gravity beers, but it is a minimum standard. And carbonation does not mean the beer is conditioned, a more subtle idea of mellowed flavors and aging.

Really, park it someplace out of sight for a month and then stick a few in the fridge for a few days, THEN try them. It will be completely different (and excellent) beer.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Jan 2013
The Hinterland of the South Shore, Massachusetts
Liked 659 Times on 461 Posts

Just to point out that I'm not talking out of my you-know-what; I'm drinking the very last bottle of a milk stout that I brewed back in March. I actually realized that I hated the style early on. The beer was OK, I brewed it properly, but meh. But I have had this brew in the bottle for more than 6 months, and it is actually nice. I'll miss this beer. I have half a glass left. We've been through a lot together.

I've got 10 gallons of English pale ale that has been in the fermenter for 4 weeks and in the bottle for 3 weeks, but I boxed them up for more conditioning because they simply aren't ready. It's taking a while for them to carbonate because I did secondary on them, but they'll get there with time. I'll be loving the hell out of these brews in the spring.

I have a lager going now that I will be enjoying in the heat of next summer. My next brew will be a dry Irish stout that I will be enjoying when autumn sets in next year.

Are you getting a sense of the importance of time? Keep brewing, and you'll see.