Fermentation on a red ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd410

Reaction score
i'm following a recipe that says fermentation should be done in 4-6 days. is that correct? i'm reading on different websites that it usually takes longer. Should i take a reading on my hydrometer? the airlock is still bubbling...today is the fifth day.
thanks for any help!

Leave it be its still working probably. Take a hydro reading in 2 weeks and then again 3 days later. If its the same you can bottle.

I've never taken a second or third gravity reading after 14 days in the fermenter. If it's been 2 weeks, and the gravity reads what your recipie calls for at FG... it's done. Bottle it or keg it. :)

Gary

yea, 2 weeks on average. I've waited up a month depending on what kind of beer it is and how high the gravity was. Lately I've been waiting 3 weeks. It lets the yeast clean up after themselves and it clears up the beer a little bit.

I've never taken a second or third gravity reading after 14 days in the fermenter. If it's been 2 weeks, and the gravity reads what your recipie calls for at FG... it's done. Bottle it or keg it. :)

Gary

I hadn't been taking more than one gravity reading either, 3 weeks in the fermenter and at the expected FG and I bottled. Then I got a wild yeast started in my fermenter and my beers kept on fermenting really slowly and I got some bottle bombs. The last beer was at the expected FG at two weeks so I dry hopped. Then it started bubbling again so I took another hydrometer reading and it had dropped quite a bit. The FG was supposed to be 1.013 but the last time I checked it the gravity had dropped to 1.001. I'll be checking more than once from now on.

Back