Simple IIPA - First recipe - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Simple IIPA - First recipe

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #1
shortrc
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 36
Liked 18 Times on 4 Posts



Hi all,

This is going to be my first time creating an IIPA from scratch and I wanted to get some opinions. Here is what I have so far.

1lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (steeping grains)
13lbs Pale Liquid Extract
3oz Centennial (Continuous hop starting at 60mins)
3oz Simcoe (Continuous hop starting at 30mins)
1.5oz Citra (Add at 5mins)
Irish Moss
1.5oz Citra (Dry hop 7 days)
2pkg Safale American US-05

How's it looking?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Bramstoker17
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Naperville, IL
Posts: 309
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by shortrc View Post
Hi all,

This is going to be my first time creating an IIPA from scratch and I wanted to get some opinions. Here is what I have so far.

1lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (steeping grains)
13lbs Pale Liquid Extract
3oz Centennial (Continuous hop starting at 60mins)
3oz Simcoe (Continuous hop starting at 30mins)
1.5oz Citra (Add at 5mins)
Irish Moss
1.5oz Citra (Dry hop 7 days)
2pkg Safale American US-05

How's it looking?
I'd sub a pound of extract with a pound of corn sugar. You want an IIPA to finish dry and not too sweet, so the sugar will help get you there. I'd maybe cut the Crystal 40 down to a half pound also, again to help dry it out. I've never done a continuous hop schedule like that before so I can't really say much about it, but I like the hop choice so I'm sure it'll be good. Might want to bump the dry hop up a couple ounces too. Good Luck and enjoy!
__________________
My brew blog for my homebrewery, White Pointer Brewery:
http://whitepointerbrewery.wordpress.com/

shortrc Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
shortrc
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 36
Liked 18 Times on 4 Posts


When would you add the sugar?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
TexanRudeboy
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 118
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by shortrc View Post
When would you add the sugar?
At flameout.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
freisste
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 2,538
Liked 345 Times on 276 Posts


If it is relatively high gravity, you can also add it when fermentation begins to peter out in primary. It encourages the yeast to eat more complex sugars first, then finish with the easy stuff. Sometimes if it is all in the brew at the same time, the yeast will selectively eat the simpler dextrose (corn sugar) before the more complex maltose.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
shortrc
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 36
Liked 18 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
If it is relatively high gravity, you can also add it when fermentation begins to peter out in primary. It encourages the yeast to eat more complex sugars first, then finish with the easy stuff. Sometimes if it is all in the brew at the same time, the yeast will selectively eat the simpler dextrose (corn sugar) before the more complex maltose.
The FG with out the extra sugar is coming it at 1.022. With the sugar its 1.020. Will the ABV be too high for an IIPA adding the sugar?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
LovesIPA
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,518
Liked 204 Times on 153 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by shortrc View Post
The FG with out the extra sugar is coming it at 1.022. With the sugar its 1.020. Will the ABV be too high for an IIPA adding the sugar?
It should come out quite a bit lower when you sub the sugar for the extract.

Did you substitute or add the sugar?

What do you mean by "continuous hop"?

I think you need more finishing hops.
__________________
Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
shortrc
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 36
Liked 18 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesIPA View Post
It should come out quite a bit lower when you sub the sugar for the extract.

Did you substitute or add the sugar?

What do you mean by "continuous hop"?

I think you need more finishing hops.
I meant add the sugar in addition. And continuos hopping by adding a little bit of the 3oz of centennial and 3oz of simcoe every few minutes until flame out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
freisste
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 2,538
Liked 345 Times on 276 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by shortrc
The FG with out the extra sugar is coming it at 1.022. With the sugar its 1.020. Will the ABV be too high for an IIPA adding the sugar?
According to BJCP style guidelines, ABV should be 7.5-10% and FG should be 1.010-1.020. Looks like you will be "to style."

That being said, if you like it, who cares about BJCP. The system is for judging beers in competition.

It is kind of nice to read the different points from the style guideline, though. One thing it mentions is to keep it relatively thin and dry without much malt character. IIPAs should "showcase hops" so I tend to agree with a previous poster who mentioned more finishing hops. Again, it's beer whether it is "to style" or not. If you like it you should make it your way. Good luck and. Happy brewing.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double IPA Columbus/Simcoe/Cascade IIPA (Simple Recipe for beginners) KYdustinj Homebrew Ale Recipes 4 08-05-2015 04:22 PM
is there any simple stout recipe, with very simple ingredients??? wallas Recipes/Ingredients 8 07-20-2013 06:04 PM
Recipe for an IIPA? Homercidal Recipes/Ingredients 3 02-16-2010 04:46 PM
Suggestions for this simple IIPA? The Pol Recipes/Ingredients 7 06-14-2009 01:59 PM
IIPA Simple Sugar Suggestion jjp36 Recipes/Ingredients 11 02-26-2009 02:26 AM


Forum Jump