Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Easy Way to Sanitize Racking Cane?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
H0tshoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Easy Way to Sanitize Racking Cane?

Does anyone have a simple and efficient way to sanitize their racking cane and hose? I keep my kegs sealed & santizied when not in use, so it seems a waste to mix up iodine in 5 gallons of water just so I can have enough room to submerge the hose and half the cane. I have a sprayer that I use to sanitize the inside of my kegs and fermenters but that doesn't help me in getting the inside surfaces of the hose and cane. HELP!

Old 12-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Gunfighter04
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I premix sanitizer in a spray bottle. I then just put the spray bottle up to the racking cane and give it a few squirts.

Keg1: Edmund Fitzgerald Clone
Keg2: Innis and Gunn Clone
Bottled: Belgian Strong
Primary: Southern Pecan Ale
People Like This 
Old 12-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Newsman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 8919

What I just did was mix up about a gallon of StarSan and run it through the racking cane and hose. You can also mix up a small amount in a spray bottle and force it through that way.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
witster18
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

sanitizing the outside is obviously self-explanatory, but for the inside do this...

fill the tube with water, then start to "rack" the sanitation fluid, stop, then put the cane into your beer, start to rack it, but put the start(the solution) into a cup or glass... then as soon as it's running beer, put it in the primary.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
30Bones
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter04 View Post
I premix sanitizer in a spray bottle. I then just put the spray bottle up to the racking cane and give it a few squirts.
x2, same with my beer lines after a hot run of water through them. Seems to work well and true to the K.I.S.S. method

Old 12-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Sjorge3442
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by witster18 View Post
sanitizing the outside is obviously self-explanatory, but for the inside do this...

fill the tube with water, then start to "rack" the sanitation fluid, stop, then put the cane into your beer, start to rack it, but put the start(the solution) into a cup or glass... then as soon as it's running beer, put it in the primary.
why not just pump the racking cane when its in the bucket of sanitizer and then just empty the line then start racking immediately?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
TrickyDick
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 119

You will either love or hate this.

Wallpaper tray. Fill with sanitizer. Soak/ dip your items in the tray as needed.

Perfect for racking tubes, auto siphon, spoons, some tubing, oxygenation and bottling wands, and lots of other items. Get the sturdiest one you can find. The flimsy ones tend to rip. I am on my second one.

TD

Old 12-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
strangegreenman
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I keep a sink full of ~3% unscented laundry bleach in hot water and just store all my tools in there on bottling day. No muss, no fuss, just rinse before you use it.

Now that I think of it, I have bottles to scrub right now.
Ingredients: None

Old 12-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
NathPowe
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
You will either love or hate this.

Wallpaper tray. Fill with sanitizer. Soak/ dip your items in the tray as needed.

Perfect for racking tubes, auto siphon, spoons, some tubing, oxygenation and bottling wands, and lots of other items. Get the sturdiest one you can find. The flimsy ones tend to rip. I am on my second one.

TD
This seems like a great way to go. Don't do what I did though and forget to measure the items to be sanitized. The tray I bought was about 2" too short to fit my auto-siphon. Pretty epic fail on my part.

I'm thinking of rigging up a piece of pvc piping, closed off at one end, that I can toss the siphon and oxy-wand into. Haven't gotten around to it yet though, so it's the spray bottle for me as well.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
TrickyDick
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I have also used kegs to store StarSan. I think this practice is debatable, but similar to the PVC idea, which I like.

Some guys have built wooden frames to support the wallpaper tray which can be flimsy, especially if its full.

TD