Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sanitizing Tea Bags

Old 12-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Sanitizing Tea Bags

Anybody have any luck with this?

I want to secondary a pale ale with some green tea. I'm afraid the boil temps and primary fermentation will get rid if a lot of what I want out of the tea so I'd like to secondary.

My first idea was to bake them at 180 in the oven for an hour to "pasteurize" them.

My second idea was a soak in vodka, but wasn't sure if this would affect flavor in anyway or damage the tea leaves.

My last idea was to just say f*** it, toss em in and hope for no infection.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 906 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 741

I'd use loose leaf tea. You could put in in a sanitized bag (like muslin hop bag) or use any kind of stainless loose leaf tea strainer (which can be sanitized before use).

Another idea is to make a strong pot of tea and blend in secondary or at bottling.

Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Barleywine, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Sour Blackberry Cider, Evolution of Funk (Vol's 1+2), Higher Ground Gose, Snow Melt Single, Bench Time Mild, Long Story Short...Quad, BRB Melomel, Fluffy Pantaloons (100% Wheat), Funky Jersey Weisse
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison solera), Riviere Rouge Flanders Red, Wild Cider, Frankencyser, Fuzzy Math (golden sour w/ peaches), Petite Farmhouse (TYB) + extra runnings (w/ dregs), Funky Pantaloons, Lion Cut Kriek

Old 12-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Misplaced_Canuck
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrshotshot View Post
Anybody have any luck with this?

I want to secondary a pale ale with some green tea. I'm afraid the boil temps and primary fermentation will get rid if a lot of what I want out of the tea so I'd like to secondary.

My first idea was to bake them at 180 in the oven for an hour to "pasteurize" them.

My second idea was a soak in vodka, but wasn't sure if this would affect flavor in anyway or damage the tea leaves.

My last idea was to just say f*** it, toss em in and hope for no infection.
In the oven at 225F for 15 minutes I'd guess.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
bdknuc2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I soaked some peppermint tea bags in vodka for a few hours for my Chocolate Peppermint Stout and I had no problems with infections. However, using the vodka method in a stout may be a little more forgiving than in another type of brew. The harsher flavors in a stout could cover up the vodka taste I'm not sure it is the only time I have done it good luck!!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
invivoSaccharomyces
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Steep it in ~150 degree F water for a couple minutes. That's all it takes - pasteurization is quick and easy. This should kill everything that can grow in beer, without losing too many aromatics from the tea. Then dump in the water with the tea.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
mrrshotshot
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by invivoSaccharomyces View Post
Steep it in ~150 degree F water for a couple minutes. That's all it takes - pasteurization is quick and easy. This should kill everything that can grow in beer, without losing too many aromatics from the tea. Then dump in the water with the tea.
Awesome chart! I think ill try this method.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
crawforc3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBC View Post
I'd use loose leaf tea. You could put in in a sanitized bag (like muslin hop bag) or use any kind of stainless loose leaf tea strainer (which can be sanitized before use).

Another idea is to make a strong pot of tea and blend in secondary or at bottling.

I second making a tea and blending it in secondary.