Sanitizing Tea Bags - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sanitizing Tea Bags

Old 12-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2012
Petaluma, CA
Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts

Anybody have any luck with this?

I want to secondary a pale ale with some green tea. I'm afraid the boil temps and primary fermentation will get rid if a lot of what I want out of the tea so I'd like to secondary.

My first idea was to bake them at 180 in the oven for an hour to "pasteurize" them.

My second idea was a soak in vodka, but wasn't sure if this would affect flavor in anyway or damage the tea leaves.

My last idea was to just say f*** it, toss em in and hope for no infection.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2012
Jersey City, NJ
Liked 1589 Times on 1070 Posts

I'd use loose leaf tea. You could put in in a sanitized bag (like muslin hop bag) or use any kind of stainless loose leaf tea strainer (which can be sanitized before use).

Another idea is to make a strong pot of tea and blend in secondary or at bottling.
Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Evolution of Funk (Vol's 1-4), Long Story Short...Quad, BRB Melomel, Fluffy Pantaloons (100% Wheat), Funky Pantaloons (100% Brett), Funky Jersey Weisse, Petite Farmhouse (TYB), Riviere Rouge Flanders Red, Frankencyser, Fuzzy Math (golden sour w/ peaches), Wild Cider ('14), Unseasonably Pale v2
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison solera), Lion Cut Kriek, Bochet Mead, Wild Cranberry Cider ('15), Dirty Dozen Mead, Farmhouse Cyser

Old 12-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Misplaced_Canuck

Recipes 

Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Liked 166 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrshotshot View Post
Anybody have any luck with this?

I want to secondary a pale ale with some green tea. I'm afraid the boil temps and primary fermentation will get rid if a lot of what I want out of the tea so I'd like to secondary.

My first idea was to bake them at 180 in the oven for an hour to "pasteurize" them.

My second idea was a soak in vodka, but wasn't sure if this would affect flavor in anyway or damage the tea leaves.

My last idea was to just say f*** it, toss em in and hope for no infection.
In the oven at 225F for 15 minutes I'd guess.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
bdknuc2
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I soaked some peppermint tea bags in vodka for a few hours for my Chocolate Peppermint Stout and I had no problems with infections. However, using the vodka method in a stout may be a little more forgiving than in another type of brew. The harsher flavors in a stout could cover up the vodka taste I'm not sure it is the only time I have done it good luck!!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
invivoSaccharomyces
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Madison, WI
Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Steep it in ~150 degree F water for a couple minutes. That's all it takes - pasteurization is quick and easy. This should kill everything that can grow in beer, without losing too many aromatics from the tea. Then dump in the water with the tea.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
mrrshotshot

Recipes 

Feb 2012
Petaluma, CA
Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by invivoSaccharomyces View Post
Steep it in ~150 degree F water for a couple minutes. That's all it takes - pasteurization is quick and easy. This should kill everything that can grow in beer, without losing too many aromatics from the tea. Then dump in the water with the tea.
Awesome chart! I think ill try this method.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
crawforc3
Recipes 

Dec 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBC View Post
I'd use loose leaf tea. You could put in in a sanitized bag (like muslin hop bag) or use any kind of stainless loose leaf tea strainer (which can be sanitized before use).

Another idea is to make a strong pot of tea and blend in secondary or at bottling.

I second making a tea and blending it in secondary.