Looking for a nice fruity liquid yeast - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Looking for a nice fruity liquid yeast
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
EarlyAmateurZymurgist
Recipes 
 
Aug 2013
Posts: 480
Liked 120 Times on 74 Posts


White Labs WLP007 = Wyeast 1098 = Safale S04

It's the Whitbread "B" strain.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
PastorofMuppets
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 461
Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts


Fruity is American Ale II, London Ales II and III, Ringwood ale
Ferment them about 69-71 and you are set for some fruitness.

I like them all pretty well



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
solbes
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Ramsey & Akeley, Mn
Posts: 2,966
Liked 232 Times on 212 Posts


The yeast cultured from Bells can get quite fruity when fermented into the upper 60's. And not in a bad way in an aromatic IPA. Alternatively it will ferment quite clean in the low 60's. I love it!

I would avoid the Whitbread, as I think it's the same as S-04 which I have used. Estery for sure, but more twangy and not nice fruity.
__________________
Primary #1: #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Blackberry Rhubarb wine #2: Empty #3: Cab MerMarqeNac Wine
Kegged
: Chocolate Rye, Mugged a Monk Paters
Bottles
: RIS, Carmel Apple Cider, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Barolo Wine, Berry Rhubarb Wine, Black Currant wine
On Deck: BGSA, Umlaut my Kölsch VII

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
masonsjax
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
masonsjax's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Frederick, MD
Posts: 3,073
Liked 590 Times on 415 Posts


Common misconception. Brett adds lots of fruity kinda funky complex flavors, not really sour. Sour comes from other bacteria like lactobacillus.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
LLBeanJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Windsor, CO
Posts: 2,574
Liked 551 Times on 409 Posts


+1 on Bell's. It's very similar to 1272 American Ale 2. Nice and citrusy when fermented in the low 70s.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #16
jcorn
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Scottsburg, INDIANA
Posts: 366
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts


Thank you guys for taking time for all of the responses. I have used bells yeast in a batch before for an Oberon clone. I cannot remember much about it though. I need to go back through my notes for it.
I think I may give this american ale #2 a shot. It sounds very good for some orange. I wonder what a good wit or wheat would be like as well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:20 AM   #17
EarlyAmateurZymurgist
Recipes 
 
Aug 2013
Posts: 480
Liked 120 Times on 74 Posts


One of my favorite fruity English yeast cultures is Young's. I used to have the real-deal in my old bank. It produces an ester known as ethyl heptanoate. Ethyl heptanoate smells just like a grape lollipop. The ester dissipates with time, but it makes for a beer with a candy like aroma when the beer is finished with Goldings. Yum!

From what I understand, Wyeast 1768 is allegedly Young's yeast. The description for Wyeast 1768 appears to support this allegation.

"Similar to 1968, slightly less flocculent. Produces light fruit ethanol aroma. Mild malt with a neutral soft finish. Very clean."

Ethyl heptonoate is formed when ethanol combines with heptanoic acid. Heptonic acid is a medium-chain fatty acid that is formed during fermentation.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #18
jcorn
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Scottsburg, INDIANA
Posts: 366
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyAmateurZymurgist View Post
One of my favorite fruity English yeast cultures is Young's. I used to have the real-deal in my old bank. It produces an ester known as ethyl heptanoate. Ethyl heptanoate smells just like a grape lollipop. The ester dissipates with time, but it makes for a beer with a candy like aroma when the beer is finished with Goldings. Yum!

From what I understand, Wyeast 1768 is allegedly Young's yeast. The description for the Wyeast 1768 appears to support this allegation.

"Similar to 1968, slightly less flocculent. Produces light fruit ethanol aroma. Mild malt with a neutral soft finish. Very clean."

Ethyl heptonoate is formed when ethanol combines with heptanoic acid. Heptonic acid is a medium-chain fatty acid that is formed during fermentation.
I think all fermentation has ethanol alcohol but this yeast wouldnt produce more by this theory would it? Wouldnt want a bad hangover yeast.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #19
EarlyAmateurZymurgist
Recipes 
 
Aug 2013
Posts: 480
Liked 120 Times on 74 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorn View Post
I think all fermentation has ethanol alcohol but this yeast wouldnt produce more by this theory would it? Wouldnt want a bad hangover yeast.
No, ethyl heptanoate is just an ester. All fruity aromas and tastes that are produced by yeast cultures are esters. Esters are formed when an alcohol combines with an acid. The banana aroma/taste found in German-style wheat beer and some Belgian beers is an ester called isoamyl acetate (isoamyl acetate can also smell like pear). It is formed when isoamyl alcohol combines with acetic acid. If you have ever had a beer with a pineapplish aroma, that smell is an ester called ethyl hexanoate (ethyl hexanoate can also smell like apple), which is formed when ethanol and hexanoic acid combine. Heck, Juicy Fruit chewing gum is a just a cocktail of esters.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #20
jcorn
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Scottsburg, INDIANA
Posts: 366
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyAmateurZymurgist View Post

No, ethyl heptanoate is just an ester. All fruity aromas and tastes that are produced by yeast cultures are esters. Esters are formed when an alcohol combines with an acid. The banana aroma/taste found in German-style wheat beer and some Belgian beers is an ester called isoamyl acetate (isoamyl acetate can also smell like pear). It is formed when isoamyl alcohol combines with acetic acid. If you have ever had a beer with a pineapplish aroma, that smell is an ester called ethyl hexanoate (ethyl hexanoate can also smell like apple), which is formed when ethanol and hexanoic acid combine. Heck, Juicy Fruit chewing gum is a just a cocktail of esters.
Ok I see now! Thank you bringing me up to speed on that. I think I got crossed in the line of reading once that esters can be produced when a yeasts' max temp is hit creating stress/alcohol off tastes, enthanol alcohol/ and fruity flavors.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fruity Belgian yeast Roy2Ventullo Fermentation & Yeast 7 01-25-2014 02:09 PM
Fruity Yeast Profile? MrManifesto Fermentation & Yeast 4 12-25-2011 06:53 PM
Fruity/sweet yeast drathbone Winemaking Forum 1 03-10-2011 03:16 AM
most fruity belgian yeast z987k Fermentation & Yeast 1 01-30-2010 06:49 AM
Fruity Ale Yeast? troutab81 Fermentation & Yeast 10 01-24-2010 08:49 PM


Forum Jump