Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > any info would help

Old 12-24-2005, 01:28 AM   #1
makingitgood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default any info would help

ok i am thinking of brewing my first real brew, i am also going to be making my own malt out of barley. i got some ?s do you crush your malt? or do you leave it whole? do i let it dry? in 5gals how much malt do i use? its kinda going to be a do it your self typ of brew... a hit and miss maybe... i need a basic beer recipie any one got one?
Thanks David D

Old 12-24-2005, 01:46 AM   #2
rewster451

Recipes 

Are you talking about going all grain your first beer? If so this is really ambitious. Yes, you crack your barley. You should probably search this site a bit more, and do some more research. I'd start extract, but if you can start this ambitious and be successful, you'll make great beers.

Up next: Big Brew Off competition between me and Kaptain Karma as one team, and my two roommates as another--We'll be brewing Pale Ales with specifications on malts, hops, and total yeild to see who's version is better (and to end up with ten total gallons of great beer).
Also up soon: Belgian Dubbel
Primary: Grampa's Woodshed Apple Smoked Porter
Secondary: Zombiefoot California Common, Chocolate Strong Porter
Drinking: Seamus O'Drunkagan Irish Red, Humble Pie Imperial Stout, Capricorn IPA

Old 12-24-2005, 02:18 AM   #3
usmcruz
Recipes 

it depends on the ingredients you have. If you want to make a single malt beer then thats as basic as it comes. Do you have a mill to crack the grain? What hops do you have? If you have no hops then i recommend doing german hallertau to give you a not so strong and quite drinkable beer. cheers

Old 12-24-2005, 02:21 AM   #4
makingitgood
Recipes 

yup i am going all the way, thanks rewster... plus my dads got over 10000 bushels of barley in the bins right now, emmm think of all that beer, i dont think i will even youse one bushel, lol

Old 12-24-2005, 02:23 AM   #5
makingitgood
Recipes 

well i am hopfully got to be getting hops, i will research german hallertau, thanks

Old 12-24-2005, 02:48 AM   #6
makingitgood
Recipes 

no mill to crack grain, i can just do it with a rolling pin?

Old 12-24-2005, 03:09 AM   #7
usmcruz
Recipes 

Rolling pin might be a good idea if you were brewing next month because thats how long it might take you, plus the uneven and even pulverized husks will add harshes and cause a stuck mash if doing all-grain. You need the husks to act as a filter bed. Look in the phone book im sure there is a home brew shop near you, but if not then there is a mill you can get at some hardware store's. It cost about 20 to 30 dollars and is made to crush corn but with some fine adjustments you can mill the grain just fine. Its called a corona mill. Also while you crush the grain, do it outside, if the dust of the crush gets into or on your fermenting vessel it could infect your wort. Write me back if you have any more questions im all ears

Old 12-24-2005, 03:23 AM   #8
makingitgood
Recipes 

I got lots of free time.... well i can make free time. its might take a whyle so i think iam going to try it.

Old 12-24-2005, 03:38 AM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

Making malt from barley is a bit of a process. You have to soak the grain and let it almost sprout, then dry & kiln it. http://brewery.org/brewery/library/Malt.html gives an over-view. It takes about a month total.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-24-2005, 04:33 PM   #10
makingitgood
Recipes 

i have read that be for, i might try extract.... just for the first time and so i have something going. its gonna take awhyle before i can make malt...