Milk Crates - ethics? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Milk Crates - ethics?

Old 11-13-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
Kulprit

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Ok so I seem to have gotten killed when I got a keg without realizing the ethical situation and how we as brewers should look at it. Education received.

So now that I am "making bottles," me and the guys have amassed quite a few Sam Adams bottles (7 cases in 2 weeks aint bad). Problem is it's real hard to get a full case of Sam around here and they are all sold in 12packs. A few have already broken down and wont work. So we were looking for stuff to help us store empty bottles as we continue to amass them. This will also help me keep SWMBO off my back as I keep it as neat a pile as possible.

It occurred to me that I run into much the same problem when trying to collect those plastic milk crates so I was wondering what the community view point is in this area?

thanks.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:55 PM   #2
Tenchiro

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Providence, RI
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Target and stores like it will sell the plastic milk crate style totes for very little.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:16 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

Dollar General, (Walmart seems to have switched to black crates with polka dots cut out in them for file storage...duh!!)

These are NOT milk crates from a dairy...no ethics involved...

Old 11-14-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
Brakeman_Brewing
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

its probably going to run into the same never ending ethics debate the kegs do.

bottom line if it says "property of such and such" no matter what it is, i think the same exact ethics debate is going to pop up.

+1 on what Tenchiro said, a few of my local grocery stores have generic plastic milk crates/pallates that they will sell fairly cheap or give away

Old 11-14-2007, 12:31 AM   #5
El_Borracho
Recipes 

Oct 2007

Just go to the back of the grocery store and grab a few crates. Don't be an ass about it and take a palate worth of milk crates tonight....spread it out over the next few weeks.. The cost is much different in regards to a keg compared to a milk crate. If they cared more about their well-being they would have found a secure place to store them.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:38 AM   #6
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Union City, CA
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Borracho
Just go to the back of the grocery store and grab a few crates. Don't be an ass about it and take a palate worth of milk crates tonight....spread it out over the next few weeks.. The cost is much different in regards to a keg compared to a milk crate. If they cared more about their well-being they would have found a secure place to store them.
Oh snap! Duck!

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 11-14-2007, 12:39 AM   #7
Brakeman_Brewing
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

that may have just stirred up the bee's nest

Old 11-14-2007, 01:12 AM   #8
Blender

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Santa Cruz, CA.
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I just hit liquor stores or Quick shops for the old cardboard cases. Here they pile them up in the carboard recycle bins.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:28 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7845 Times on 5497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Borracho

Ooh, boy, I just can't let that one go.

I don't have my car in the garage- it's just sitting outside in the driveway. It belongs to me, it has my name on the title, but if I cared about it, I guess I would find a more secure place to store it. I guess, then, according to this logic, that you should just steal it since I have insurance.

Whatever the value of an item is, stealing is stealing. No ifs ands or buts. If something does not belong to you, and you take it, it is stealing. If someone else steals it and gives it to you, it is stealing.

Go buy a tote, or ask a milk company to buy their crates. But don't steal them. And if you do, don't post about it. That makes me sick.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:34 AM   #10
ColoradoXJ13
Recipes 

Dec 2006
Somerville, MA
Liked 21 Times on 9 Posts

What about corny kegs? All the ones I have say "property of such and such" and "receiving this container without permission...blah blah blah..."

sorry, stoking the flames...