Completely psyched! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Completely psyched!

Old 11-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
Two Minutes
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Easton, MA

Tested my chocolate, coffee, jalepeno stout this weekend and my knees went weak.

I was a little nervous going in because I've read so many "Chili peppers and beer don't go together" and "Bleh, yeck, phituii" and "This is the worst swill I've ever experienced" comments -- yet this thing knocked my socks off.

It had just the right coffee overtones and the chili peppers created a perfect little kick to the back of my throat on the way down. I dropped in a vanilla bean and some unsweetened bakers chocolate. Can't wait to test it again this weekend. And I'm astounded that this will only get better over the next 3 weeks before I bottle.

Just curious, what is the consensus on how long to condition?

On Deck: taking numbers
In-the-hole: nada

Old 11-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Frederick, MD
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Chocolate Coffee Vanilla Jalepeno Stout?

I have to say I think that sounds god-aweful, but it's you're beer, glad you like it.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 11-13-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Portland, OR
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

wow, that's a lot going on there. I'm in the group of folks that don't dig chili beers, but more power to ya. Glad it's coming out well.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

Sounds like a nice beer for a snow-day this winter.

I'd say that unless you have a complicated grain bill, the beer shouldn't need an exceptionally long conditioning period.

If the peppers are already out of the wort, it might be that the spice could mellow a bit.

I'd recommmend you save a 6 or 12 pack and forget about them for about 4-6 months and then see how really long conditioning affects the flavor.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Two Minutes
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Easton, MA

... nice beer for a snow day ...

Exactly! Trying to somewhat emulate Hot Cocoa with Hot Peppers.

I'll probably condition for 2, 3 weeks (or until the first snow day, which ever comes first.) Storing for a long time sounds good too. I've been intrigued with oak barrel aged beers and will eventually do one or five.

Quote:
Chocolate Coffee Vanilla Jalepeno Stout?
Welp, say it like that and I woulda probably avoid it too. May be I'll shorten it to Chocolate Jalepeno stout -- take the scare out of it!

On Deck: taking numbers
In-the-hole: nada

Old 11-13-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

I've contemplating a Chocolate Chili stout,

Do you have the recipe please.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Jun 2007
The "Ville"
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I'm in the group(probably relatively small) that has habanero ale conditioning in the bottle right now!

Good on you mate! I'd like a look at the recipe myself. Did you just invent it from scratch? I went the weenie route of a light ale with roasted pepper flavor. First test and it certainly warms the belly!
6 peppers in 5 gallons....I eat the things! So I am no wimp when it comes to spice, but good god. Those 6 little peppers manage to still pack a punch in such dilution.
BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 11-13-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

I have a keg of Serrano Chili Ale that I made for last Cinco deMayo then I found out my Mexican neighbors don't drink.

It is not hot, but flavorful. Very enjoyable.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

I grow my own chillies so it would be nice to use them.
I'm thinking I'd have to soak them in Vodka to sanitise. Then I could drink the Vodka afterwards.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 PM   #10
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Jun 2007
The "Ville"
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
I grow my own chillies so it would be nice to use them.
I'm thinking I'd have to soak them in Vodka to sanitise. Then I could drink the Vodka afterwards.
I grew my habs , they were some smoky oranges. Delicious.

On brewpastor's advice, I just roasted them and put them in the secondary. No problem with contamination. Dry "hab'd" for 2 1/2 weeks or so.

I should add that he advises only using heatless chiles.
BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout