Sump Pump Keg Washer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidFlame

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I might be overthinking this, but I had a question about washing your kegs and carboys with a DIY keg washer. My question is about the rinsing stage. After you’ve added your cleaning agent to the water and cycled it through your kegs, it’s time to dump the solution and add some clean water to rinse everything out. My concern is that there’s still going to be cleaning residue in your keg that is going to dissolve in the clean rinsing water while you circulate the water through your keg, so it seems like you would be repeating the cleaning stage again. How do you guys make sure that the water you’re rinsing with is always clean water? What do you guys think?

Thanks.

I set up my rinsing stage in my utility/laundry sink. I cover the drain with a rubber mat type cover/stopper and get a good 10-15 gallons of clean water in there. I then crack the drain cover to allow it to slowly drain as I am running more fresh water into the sink. I then run the rinsing cycle through my kegs with the fresh water running. I suppose there may be some cleaner sticking around, but it would be so dilute by this time that I don't worry about it.

I always follow up right away with a thorough sani-clean cycle to neutralize any remaining cleaner that may have hung around. Then I close up and purge the keg right away so it is ready to fill when I need it.

I put a drain in bucket and set it up next to the sink, open it up when I want to switch cleaners or fresh water

I usually allow the keg to drip dry then I rinse, and at that time everything is so diluted that I don't worry about it. If that was the final step then I might show a marginal amount of concern, but I follow up with a sanitizing rinse.

Latest posts

Back