Harvested yeast from a stout. Can I use it for my IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerkench

Reaction score
Hi,

So I harvested some Safale from a stout I did and want to know if I can use it for my IPA? The OG's are similar but will I get stout taste in the IPA?

Thanks.

Just make sure to decant off most of the liquid off the top and you'll be fine. There is such a big difference in volume that you wouldn't notice it at all.

I would agree, but do a yeast washing. Don't just dump it on top of the lees from the old batch (like a guy I know does - horrifies me, and he's gotten a bacterial pellicle doing it before :x )

I kegged an oatmeal stout a while back, poured the yeast into a couple bottles, and let them settle for a couple days. Then I decanted the beer from the top of one of the bottles and dumped the slurry into a new IPA. Worked great and, even though the yeast slurry was kinda dark from the stout, there was nowhere near enough stouty flavor to affect the while 5 gal batch. Cheers!

Back